[iTunes] Do YOU want a new iVolume burning PERFECT CDs?
Jun 1, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
yep, usually when i use the wave editor, it's to increase the volume, and the danger of clipping is big- i always watch the peaks so they don't get anywhere near Ye Olde "0." I don't trust itunes to futz around with my tunes.

Plenty of my CDs have crappy hot recordings, but having itunes do a volume limiter thing on it won't help - no matter what volume level, it will sound sizzly. It doesn't matter how cold the bacon is - if it's burnt, it's burnt.

We agree with each other on just about everything, but I guess I didn't get my point across, so in somewhat less words than last time ... Because of the issue of clipping when increasing the levels, I prefer to drop the levels of everything else to 70s volume levels. That way, nothing clips and I don't blow my eardrums out if I go from Fleetwood Mac to Fuel. As an added bonus, it means I also get to use more of the pot on my amp
wink.gif

EDIT: Definitely don't let iTunes mess with the files... replaygain them! The algorithm isn't perfect, but it's better than the standard peak normalization.

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #18 of 25
I don't burn audio CD's. I'm happy with Sound Check and don't think it degrades sound quality. Sound Check only tells iTunes by how much to increase or reduce the volume per file. The original file is not touched, as far as I can tell and only volume is affected. I had a look at iVolume but don't feel the need to purchase something like that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #19 of 25
3lusiv3, please, do a comparison. For most dramatic effect, burn a mix-CD using soundcheck (be sure to check "match volume" in the burning options) and give it a listen on your big rig. Focus on dynamics. Soundcheck does more than just changing the volume. You can also use the iVolume trial on a limited number of tracks for comparison (but you cannot burn the results to CD, as to the reason of this thread & poll).

Jun 8, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Where are the votes?

There probably needs to be more options than:
A) no need for volume control
B....) iVolume....

Obviously, OS X users are in the minority. And that a great deal have iPods and there are various arguments which is best to handle file adjustments on that.

I'm glad iVolume is available, but happy MP3/AACGain and iVolumeBooster user here. Get iVolume (or anything) to ReplayGain ALAC files and I'll be there.

... but extremely rarely burn redbookish CDs anymore. It's all passing lossy or lossless compressed files now.

Jun 8, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Get iVolume (or anything) to ReplayGain ALAC files and I'll be there.

Uhm, iVolume does that already. MP3Gain should as well...?

Quote:

... but extremely rarely burn redbookish CDs anymore. It's all passing lossy or lossless compressed files now.

Redbookish Mix-CDs make excellent gifts on special occasions... filesharing... it just lacks romance.

Jun 8, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Uhm, iVolume does that already. MP3Gain should as well...?

MP3Gain doesn't. Great if iVolume does.

Quote:

Redbookish Mix-CDs make excellent gifts on special occasions... filesharing... it just lacks romance.

I (and those I'm after) may be a bit too old for mixed-tapes/CDs/etc. to create much romance, but the only girl that received a lot of MP3s from me recently had a iPod Mini packaged with it also, so I try to have my bases covered.
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

MP3Gain doesn't. Great if iVolume does.

I (and those I'm after) may be a bit too old for mixed-tapes/CDs/etc. to create much romance, but the only girl that received a lot of MP3s from me recently had a iPod Mini packaged with it also, so I try to have my bases covered.
wink.gif

"simply wrap that playlist in an iPod shuffle"
tongue.gif

If you believe you could ever get too old for personal mixes you ... presumably are old already
wink.gif
I doubt one can grow out of that (take it as my little sub-30 wisdom
cool.gif
), mixes mean making a time- & thought-intensive effort for something personal.

Jun 8, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #24 of 25
Fair enough. I still like to share music, but I have to admit, it had the added benefit of impressing the ladies a bit more when John Cusack made more movies.
wink.gif

But Thurston Moore put it well here.

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

3lusiv3, please, do a comparison. For most dramatic effect, burn a mix-CD using soundcheck (be sure to check "match volume" in the burning options) and give it a listen on your big rig. Focus on dynamics. Soundcheck does more than just changing the volume. You can also use the iVolume trial on a limited number of tracks for comparison (but you cannot burn the results to CD, as to the reason of this thread & poll).

OK, I'll give iVolume another chance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back