iTunes disaster!!
Oct 15, 2005 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Michael1980

100+ Head-Fier
So, I went on a trip. Took my iPod with me, you know, to listen to some music.
The battery went down to 25%, so I thought, why not plug-in my iPod into my friends laptop, so I can recharge. Harmless right? Wrong!

I plug it in, his iTunes launches and WITHOUT ASKING ME ONE WORD, it resyncs my iPod to his library!!!!!

Which means that my 20gb of music is gone, and I am left with his 20 or so tunes.

Absolute nightmare. The thing is I rated about 300 songs on the train, which means that I will have to do it again after I get my songs back from my own computer. Doesn't iPod or iTunes have some kind of identification of which library it belongs to?

Thanks.

Oct 15, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 29
Under iTunes' iPod preferences, there is an option to manually manage your iPod.

I set my iPod for manual sync and I can plug it into another computer's USB port without iTunes auto syncing.

Yes, manual sync may not be as convenient but with playlists, smart playlists, and folders it works for me.

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Under iTunes' iPod preferences, there is an option to manually manage your iPod.

I set my iPod for manual sync and I can plug it into another computer's USB port without iTunes auto syncing.

Yes, manual sync may not be as convenient but with playlists, smart playlists, and folders it works for me.

Yes, but once I have left my house I can't change that preference.
Because there are no iPod preferences in iTunes until you plug-in the iPod and it deletes your whole library. And I like auto-sync.

It would have been better if iTunes asked you (it used to, did it not?),

"This iPod is linked to another library, would like to link it to this one?"
"No thanks".

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1980
So, I went on a trip. Took my iPod with me, you know, to listen to some music.
The battery went down to 25%, so I thought, why not plug-in my iPod into my friends laptop, so I can recharge. Harmless right? Wrong!

I plug it in, his iTunes launches and WITHOUT ASKING ME ONE WORD, it resyncs my iPod to his library!!!!!

Which means that my 20gb of music is gone, and I am left with his 20 or so tunes.

Hmm... sounds like a textbook example of the Apple philosophy, along with its potential results. Not that I have anything against Apple, but this goes to show that "ease of use" can be carried too far.

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 29
Food for thought, if you plug your rechargeable iPod (or any other USB devise) into a powered USB hub (battery or power pack) should charge your iPod. BTW make sure the USB hub is not connected to anything else.

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 29
Agreed. I dislike software that doesn't give the user options or does something important without asking.

I do wonder, though, how much the music labels' demands have affected the iPod's and iTunes' features. Not being able to copy from an iPod to a PC was the major unsupported function. Third-party software was quick to plug this hole.

It's unfortunate iTunes' vaunted ease of use has resulted in this.

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echopac
Food for thought, if you plug your rechargeable iPod (or any other USB devise) into a powered USB hub (battery or power pack) should charge your iPod. BTW make sure the USB hub is not connected to anything else.

What are you talking about?
It did charge. I now have a 100% battery charge, but nothing to listen to.

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1980
What are you talking about?
It did charge. I now have a 100% battery charge, but nothing to listen to.

What I'm talking about is if you meerly need a charge and don't want to risk connecting your data to an unknown source.
Sorry about your data conundrum.

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echopac
What I'm talking about is if you meerly need a charge and don't want to risk connecting your data to an unknown source.
Sorry about your data conundrum.

Oh sorry. I wish I had a powered usb hub or even better a normal power plug lol.

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigmatic
everytime I've done that with various versions of itunes a message pops up saying something like "this ipod is not synced up with this library, would you like to sync it now?".

Yes, exactly. I got this message when I changed from ephPod to iTunes.
But not this time! The question is, how does iTunes determine libraries?
Is it by your Windows username or some other identification...

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 29
Sorry, but I am an Apple supporter, and have to defend...

I have NEVER seen a case where the person is not asked if he/she would like to sync their iPod to a new library when plugging into a different computer. Either you skipped through the question (answering yes), or this was some strange fluke. I see that people have taken this opportunity to bash Apple's "ease of use" and say that iPods sucks. Come ON...

No matter what the case, sorry to hear about your disaster...that IS a drag, and I'd be equally as frustrated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back