Itunes, Cracks and pops?
Mar 13, 2009 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Adamora

500+ Head-Fier
Whenever i play music on itunes with its highest level of volume, i begin to hear cracks and pops in nearly all my music (280kbs/1200kbs), But when i turn it down by like, 15% it completely disappears...what the heck?! my speaker/headphone volume doesn't affect it.

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using the digital output or soundcard output...yeah soundcards when pushed too far can clip and crackle.

Soundcard output, i couldnt find the digital pod thingie for my X-fi on ebay =/

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 15
Perfectly normal.
Most amplifiers clip, cracks when driven to the max.

Can't be good for your ears either, sound pressure wise.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 15
I wouldnt' be surprised if it's itunes. One of the most horrible pieces of malware that ever got onto my computer.

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perfectly normal.
Most amplifiers clip, cracks when driven to the max.

Can't be good for your ears either, sound pressure wise.

its unamped, my Z-5500's are directly connected to it, games are fine, even at high volumes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure not X-Fi bug? Crackling is one of the hardware bugs.

oh i know about the crap that creative has given us, its just that i got the card for 25$ (extrememusic), thats a pretty good bargain, i had alot of problems a few months ago, mostly related to compatibility issues, bought a new rig and it seems to run fine, no more screeches of death.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldnt' be surprised if it's itunes. One of the most horrible pieces of malware that ever got onto my computer.

Winamps the same, weird....

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To each their own I guess!
tongue_smile.gif

Its definitely not iTunes itself. My iTunes have had its volume locked at 100% for years, and not a single crack, pop, ... so far.

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 15
Were you using the EQ and artificially upping the sound?

That means that you are changing the volume of the file itself during playback. You would expect the same clipping results as you said earlier.

I would switch to Winamp, smoothest playback of anything I have tried. Granted, iTunes is probably still my main for casual listening since I like my organized playlists. When doing editing, I use Winamp as the litmus test because sometimes it can catch stuff that Audacity just doesn't always seem to.

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 15
Winamp has the same problem, im not using any type of EQ whatsoever :X

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 15
im getting pops on everything i use. my internal soundcard, my old emu 0202 and now also on my ibasso d10.
i found a tool called DPC latency checker, and i leave it running in the background to see what happens. whenever theres a pop theres a huge spike on the graph. the rest of the time it sits right flat down with an increase to 1000 every 10 seconds like clockwork. no idea whats causing it. might be my anti virus or something. the programs says it could be screwy drivers, but ive updated damn near every driver there is, and it still does it.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #14 of 15
laptops internal IDT audio. i disabled it in device manager, but the problem remained. it seems to do it more when i scroll fast through something. il see if my graphics card hardware acceleration does anything to it

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #15 of 15
Get an external soundcard from creative, anything onboard on a laptop is very crappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back