iTunes Backup help
Oct 26, 2009 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Juergen

100+ Head-Fier
I have been building and maintaining PCs as a hobby for 25 years. I have avoided iPods because I do not like buying something and having the seller still have control over what I bought through DRM. However my daughter has an iPod and I need to re-install the OS on her PC (that has iTunes on it). I have backed up her /iTunes folder. When I redo her PC and install iTunes can I just copy the directory back? I have this fear that iTunes will say "these files are not authorized" or something similar. She paid for these songs and I don't want to accidentally make the unusable because of some licensing issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 9
Oct 26, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 9
You'll be fine. Once you load the library find a DRM protected song (older bought song) and play it. First time you play a DRM song it will ask for your login information to authorise iTunes to play it. After that your computer will be authorized to play those songs. Don't forget to disable the iTunes before reinstalling the OS as you only have a 5 authorized computer limit. Only songs bought from iTunes are DRM protected (and only older bought songs as iTunes is now mostly if not completely DRM free now).

P.S. The 5 computer limit can only be reset to 0 once a year so be sure to disable before you reinstall the OS or getting rid of computer.

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks! That's what I was looking for. This just reminds me how much I hate DRM.
angry_face.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! That's what I was looking for. This just reminds me how much I hate DRM.
angry_face.gif

You could always go back to CDs
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 9
Luckily most (all?) songs available in iTunes Store these days are DRM free.
smile.gif

As for backing up you seem to have the steps right. Copy them back in the same directory as earlier and they will most certainly show up in iTunes like nothing happened. Worst case she need to verify her account by logging in with username/password.

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luckily most (all?) songs available in iTunes Store these days are DRM free.
smile.gif

Now if only they could all be Apple Lossless (ALAC) I'd buy from iTunes again. [The songs] ;P

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Better still- never buy any music from iTunes store. I buy cds and rip them to iTunes and ipods.

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better still- never buy any music from iTunes store. I buy cds and rip them to iTunes and ipods.

Not everyone has a boat load of space. ;P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back