Itunes and WAV conversion
Nov 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sandaz93

Head-Fier
I ripped all my CDs into Itunes using Apple lossless. If i change my import settings to WAV, make all the setting AUTO, itunes gives me the option to convert ALAC files into WAV files. If I do that, will I lose any quality + will the song still remain lossless. Do I have to change anything on the import setting for WAV, or should I just leave them all on AUTO.

Thank you for your time.

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 5
You can import, converting to wav; but, your file size will be bigger. What would be the point since wav does not sound better. When you burn a CD, from wav, AAC, ALAC, or AIFF file, the files will be converted up or down to 16/44. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 5
You don't lose any data going from lossless compression (ALAC, FLAC, etc.) to WAV or back.

Lossless compression is basically a ZIP file for audio. The data going in is the same as the data going out, just smaller (or bigger in some cases).

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I wanted to convert from WAV to FLAC. If I did the original way though, i wouldn't lose any data, right?

You've lost me. You want to convert ALAC to wav, and then, wav to flac, is that right? You could just convert ALAC to flac . Of course then the files would no longer play in iTunes, since iTunes does not support flac. Interestingly, since many of my hi-rez downloads are in flac, which I cannot play in iTunes, I convert them to ALAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back