iTunes and PC partitioning question
Sep 3, 2004 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sjino

100+ Head-Fier
I'm seriously considering moving from minidisc to the 4G iPod, but I have a question about the music library. I've got close to 30GB of free space on my rather old PC, but unfortunately it's split up into three partions (about 12GB each). I can't remove the partions because it's an old FAT format drive.

Yes, I know that hard disks are cheap, and I might end up going that way. In the meantime, is it possible to split up an iTunes library across more than one drive? Or, if I don't use the automatic update feature, can I manually copy sound files from multiple drives?

I suspect that there's a way around this, but I thought I'd check here first. Thanks!

Sep 3, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 4
You can direct iTunes to automatically update its library from one folder on a drive. You can also manually add mp3's from another drive to the library.

I believe there could be a feature where you can just set it to auto add new songs from any drive.

Sep 3, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 4
I've been on OS X for a few years now, but I thought FAT16 (previous FAT) was limited to 2GB. If you're at 12GB each are they FAT32? Actually it's kinda beside the point. I think one of the few must have Windows utilities (reframing from anti-virus joke
wink.gif
), is PartitionMagic. If you got that, you could maneuver the sizes (without reformatting) until you transferred all the info over to one partition and could then combine them/delete the other two. You could also use the iPod itself as storage to move the files.

But to answer your question, I don't know of any way to use three drives at the same time, but some others may.

EDIT: I just reread, and what does "I can't remove the partions because it's an old FAT format drive" mean?

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the info, all.

The installation guide that came with my HD said I was required to create partitions when installing due to limitations in the FAT system. I seem to remember being required to do when I installed. (You're right about FAT 32, though. I'm pretty sure that's what I have, and that's why I was searching for a way to easily remove the partitions without reformatting.)

Regardless, it sounds like Partition Magic might be the answer. Thanks for that tip, I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back