iTunes 9 + XP 64 = ulcer
Sep 10, 2009 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

venomousbeavers

New Head-Fier
So, I was foolish enough to choose Windows XP 64 as my OS to take advantage of the 4GB of RAM without upgrading to Vista. Apparently, I didn't do my homework to find out that programs don't like 64 very much. Enter iTunes 9. I've been participating in a thread on the Apple Discussion boards about getting iTunes installed without any hiccups. We're stuck on getting the ipod or Touch to be recognized. Something about the iPodService.exe not playing well with others. I now have two 500 GB paperweights in my computer until I figure something out.

Just in case anyone is in the same sinking ship I am.

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 13
Make sure you used the iTunes x64 installer.

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you used the iTunes x64 installer.

Yeah. You have to edit the x64 installer with Orca to run it and I had to do the same with the AppleMobileDeviceSupport64 to get the installation going. It gets hung up when it tries to start the iPod service. Then me and my computer start smoking and sputtering. I'd probably get a Mac if I didn't enjoy gaming so much.

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 13
What a terrible operating system. I tried this on my machine years ago and absolutely nothing worked.

Maybe modern drivers work better with it, but it's still more work than it's worth.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 13
After much back and forth last year when building my new PC, I ended up trying Vista64 just to see how it worked. To be honest I've not had a single issue with devices, drivers, anything- as long as the company has released 64-bit drivers. I personally don't use iTunes, but my wife does and it seems to work just fine in her Vista64 laptop. I'd recommend it if Windows7 weren't looming on the horizon.

M-Audio lagged a bit in releasing theirs, but that driver has been super stable as well. My only complaint really about Vista64 is the amount of RAM it uses at idle (usually on the order of 800mb+ at boot up). But really, it's not hard to slap 4-8GB in a new PC nowadays and it's plenty good for me as I wait eagerly for Windows 7!

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 13
To be fair, itunes was pretty horrible when I last used it on XP x86. It's been fairly painless on Vista x64 for me.

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SYSTEM ALCHEMiST /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista x64 is way better than XP x64. And iTunes works like a charm on it.

I don't agree re Vista - it was only Windows 7 pre-beta IMHO
wink.gif

I had two high end PC's shipped from Dell. Identical one XP x64 and one Vista x64

XP won out easily.. especially what I need it for, Vista was plainly awful..

Now Windows 7 that's a different game.. thankfully..

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fratey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the problem is more iTunes and less x64, and that says pretty much considering how XP X64 ain't that good.

I agree - Had no probs with XP x64 - nice, but iTunes - Pants.

Not any more
smile.gif
dBpoweramp and Floola Rock..

Speaking of Rocks, Rockbox looks interesting but as of yet for my iPOD not supported I think..

Cheers,
LM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back