iTunes 7.5 cures iPod Classic sync problems
Nov 6, 2007 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

zumaro

500+ Head-Fier
After all my whining I thought I would give some praise to Apple for actually curing the syncing problems with the iPod Classic and iTunes. The iPod now registers quickly in iTunes 7.5 as fast as any other USB device, doesn't constantly freeze the computer while syncing at 100% CPU usage for minutes on end, and takes only 5 seconds rather than 5 minutes to eject. In fact it is the best overall performance I have seen from iTunes for quite a while, regardless of what iPod is connected to it (admittedly I have very low expectations of this program at the best of times).

But no credit to Apple for maintaining total silence, while leaving customers wondering whether or not to return their iPods as defective, not to mention for taking 2 months to fix what appeared to be a software fault - which is why most of us waited it out. At this point the fault is solved however.

I might add however no other problems have been fixed - photos don't display, the hard drive can spin constantly flattening batteries in a few hours, random pausing while playing through docks (if they work at all), missing game icons, playlist menus taking minutes to enter or exit etc etc etc.

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 16
Rush job priced for profits with little tought to quality. When the new classics and nanos came out they clearly had beta written all over them. Every other manufacturer would have been destroyed by the media.
I am sitting on a 2300 eur imac that keeps constantly freezing. It´s the third device apple has sent me. 4th will be arriving shortly, I hope.

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 16
I got bit by that, too. After two classics, I finally demanded my money back. Went out and bought a 5.5 Gen 80GB Video, which works just great.

They really pissed me off with that fiasco, especially, as you've said, with their complete silence on the issue and denials from their tech people that anything was wrong.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 16
wow. any other manufactureer would be destroyed yeah? i doubt if it were any other manufacturer than apple or microsoft anyone would care. really. i am using an ipod touch - against all better judgement but i love it. damn - everything finally just works right after using meizu m6 and cowon d2 and minidisc - which i cried for hours since english windows woudl not support non-english sonicstage... rubbish.

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got bit by that, too. After two classics, I finally demanded my money back. Went out and bought a 5.5 Gen 80GB Video, which works just great.

They really pissed my off with that fiasco, especially, as you've said, with their complete silence on the issue and denials from their tech people that anything was wrong.

LOL - if they would have "really pissed you off" you wouldn't have just gone out and bought another Apple.

Steve Jobs must be some kind of frikkin' Demon. Unbelievable.

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL - if they would have "really pissed you off" you wouldn't have just gone out and bought another Apple.

Those two events are not necessarily mutually exclusive. They really did piss me off. I will be less likely to jump on new products from them in the future. But they didn't piss me off enough to completely jump ship
smily_headphones1.gif

That being said, the 5.5 gen is a really good product. Hopefully the Classic will rise to the same level when all the bugs are worked out.

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 16
It's still slow but better than the previous versions on Vista.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rush job priced for profits with little tought to quality. When the new classics and nanos came out they clearly had beta written all over them. Every other manufacturer would have been destroyed by the media.
I am sitting on a 2300 eur imac that keeps constantly freezing. It´s the third device apple has sent me. 4th will be arriving shortly, I hope.

And that's why Mac suck...not far off from a cheap Dell, lol.

Apple is like Volkwagen, you either get headaches out the ying yang, or it's the most solid car you've ever bought. Even the most stellar customer service can't cure ALL headaches...and this is a perfect example...

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 16
I am a believer in the reality distortion field of Jobs. Dont get me wrong, I like a lot of apple products, but when they have a problematic one (cough powerbook 5300) they aren't always easy to deal with and the arrogance of a lot of apple employees is off the charts.

I do think the end of days will come if Jobs and Angelina Jolie get together and have a baby and have Bono has the godfather.

Anyway, back on topic, my 160GB classic behaves much better after the itunes update.

Also I was able to cure my picture problem by doing a reformat of the ipod

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 16
I am a believer in the reality distortion field of Jobs. Dont get me wrong, I like a lot of apple products, but when they have a problematic one (cough powerbook 5300) they aren't always easy to deal with and the arrogance of a lot of apple employees is off the charts.

I do think the end of days will come if Jobs and Angelina Jolie get together and have a baby and have Bono as the godfather.

Anyway, back on topic, my 160GB classic behaves much better after the itunes update.

Also I was able to cure my picture problem by doing a reformat of the ipod

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They really pissed my off with that fiasco, especially, as you've said, with their complete silence on the issue and denials from their tech people that anything was wrong.

Apple has always operated like that. So its hardly surprising.

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple has always operated like that. So its hardly surprising.

others have acted like this in the past as well so I guess it´s a learning process that needs to be triggered by an external shock. sasser for osx, for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back