iTunes 7.1 -- "Sort" columns...mass updating?
Mar 8, 2007 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

camille

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey,

Just getting used to the "Sort xxxxxxxx" features on iTunes 7.1. However, it seems when I want to sort by artist, for example, I'd have to update each track one at a time, which is a big pain. Has anyone figured a way to do mass updating for tracks? This is real helpful for artists with multiple albums. If anyone can help, that'd be great. Cheers!

Mar 8, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just getting used to the "Sort xxxxxxxx" features on iTunes 7.1. However, it seems when I want to sort by artist, for example, I'd have to update each track one at a time, which is a big pain. Has anyone figured a way to do mass updating for tracks? This is real helpful for artists with multiple albums. If anyone can help, that'd be great. Cheers!

This doesn't really answer your question directly, but you mention artists with multiple albums... do you know that if you click on the "Album" column repeatedly, it will switch to "Album by Artist", so for instance, all albums by the same artist will be grouped together? That way you don't have to use the new sorting fields at all. I was under the impression the new sorting fields were more for exceptional cases, like if you wanted to sort by a specific artist's last name.

Mar 8, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 6
nevermind, guys. I figured it out. I searched it up and got this from a blog:

Quote:

And then there’s sorting. Apple provides little information about it, but it appears to be a way to impose nicknames on content when it could be filed in a couple of different ways. For example, suppose you have a collection of both Robert Fripp and Brian Eno’s work. What do you do about No *****footing and Evening Star, two Fripp and Eno collaborations? File under Fripp because he gets first billing? Or Eno because you feel he was the driving force behind the projects? The new sorting feature allows you to make that decision more easily. It works like this:

Choose one track of an album you want to impose sorting upon. Choose File -> Get Info. Click the Sorting tab and enter a “nickname” for your artist in the Sort Artist field and click OK. Right-click (Control-click on the Mac) on that track name and choose Apply Sort Field -> Same Artist. All tracks that bear the original artist’s name (or group of names) will gain the Artist sorting tag you applied to the selected track.

http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodb...es71/index.php

problem is that, it takes quite a long time, and iTunes can freeze up occasionally.

~I'm aware of the album by artist (which is a great feature i never used before) which does help in the sorting. thanks though

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 6
I don't want to d/l this yet b/c new iTunes normally pisses me off. But maybe you could fill me in: normally I like to know who all of the sidemen were on all of my jazz albums. So, usually I just put them in the comments section. This way, I can search their name in the search field at the top-right and everything they were involved in shows up.

So, do you think this new system you're talking about could make this easier/better for me? Thanks in advance

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just download rockbox and get rid of itunes. Drag and drop folders to your ipod and ply them.

this is about managing music, not adding it to an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back