iTunes 10.2 Qualiy Playback
Mar 9, 2011 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sw98

Head-Fier
This may be a silly question, but I'm using iTunes 9.2 to play WAV files. I haven't upgraded to 10.2 yet, I was just curious if anyone that upgraded to 10.2 notices a degrade in audio quality playback? I was reading issues about 10.1 that was occurring with Mac, I didn't know if Apple fixed it for 10.2.

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 14
Issue posting can be found here, not sure if anyone else is experiencing the same. That thread is only a couple of weeks old:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2576529&start=60&tstart=0

I have two computers, I upgraded one to 10.2, and I'm still using 9.2 on another. I'm playing 16-bit WAV in both, and I verified in QuickTime that it's set to16-bit playback and in my sound control panel iTunes has exclusive right. Version 9.2 sounds fine. My bass seems more muddy and midrange seems distorted using 10.2 for some reason.

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 14
Mar 12, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 14
I do have WASAPI output enabled and my playback definitely sounds better. I would love using Foobar2000 but I haven't found a way to tag WAV files for scrobbling use for Last.fm.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I do have WASAPI output enabled and my playback definitely sounds better. I would love using Foobar2000 but I haven't found a way to tag WAV files for scrobbling use for Last.fm.

I think that's because .WAV files don't support metadata. Which is why I think most people use it, besides the file size issue.

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Wait. The issue is only with iTunes right? It doesn't affect the quality of audio file?

At least in my experience right now, iTunes seems to be affecting the playback quality of the audio file. It doesn't harm the file itself.

Quote:
I think that's because .WAV files don't support metadata. Which is why I think most people use it, besides the file size issue.

Dang. So I guess the only solution is converting everything to FLAC and then tagging it with Foobar 2000?

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
At least in my experience right now, iTunes seems to be affecting the playback quality of the audio file. It doesn't harm the file itself.

Dang. So I guess the only solution is converting everything to FLAC and then tagging it with Foobar 2000?

What I did, since I have iTunes on a Win 7 laptop, take all the .WAV files, import them to iTunes, and select "Make Apple Lossless Version" from "Advanced" in the menu. Sadly, iTunes doesn't support .FLAC natively. You'll have to add all the Artis/Album/Song info that you want to have afterwords though. I just let my other laptop do all the work. Since it's pretty whimpy, it took about 6 days, 24 hours a day to get everything converted. 

In case you still want to use Foobar with WASAPI or ASIO to listen to your newly acquired .ALAC files, just download the ALAC decoder and put it in the "Components" folder of Foobar.

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 14
I just downloaded the latest iTunes and it seems to sound distinctively better. It could just be my imagination. Quick-time is set at direct out and for 24/96 stereo, which matches all audio devices, USB to X-FI HD to optical S/PDIF at Sony TA-E9000ES. All of my files are 16/44.1 .wav, except iTunes 256 downloads. Windows 7 up-samples all to 24/96 and, they all sound awesome.  I'm perceiving bass is more resolved too. My bass BTW is managed through the control amp with signal sent to Sony TA-N80ES bridged for about 560 watts into a JBL B380 15 inch sub. Right now I'm listening to the sound track from Crimson Tide, wow!

Mar 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
What I did, since I have iTunes on a Win 7 laptop, take all the .WAV files, import them to iTunes, and select "Make Apple Lossless Version" from "Advanced" in the menu. Sadly, iTunes doesn't support .FLAC natively. You'll have to add all the Artis/Album/Song info that you want to have afterwords though. I just let my other laptop do all the work. Since it's pretty whimpy, it took about 6 days, 24 hours a day to get everything converted. 

In case you still want to use Foobar with WASAPI or ASIO to listen to your newly acquired .ALAC files, just download the ALAC decoder and put it in the "Components" folder of Foobar.

Good point, I'll try converting to ALAC and see if that helps.

Quote:
I just downloaded the latest iTunes and it seems to sound distinctively better. It could just be my imagination. Quick-time is set at direct out and for 24/96 stereo, which matches all audio devices, USB to X-FI HD to optical S/PDIF at Sony TA-E9000ES. All of my files are 16/44.1 .wav, except iTunes 256 downloads. Windows 7 up-samples all to 24/96 and, they all sound awesome.  I'm perceiving bass is more resolved too. My bass BTW is managed through the control amp with signal sent to Sony TA-N80ES bridged for about 560 watts into a JBL B380 15 inch sub. Right now I'm listening to the sound track from Crimson Tide, wow!

Weird, maybe I'm going crazy then. My bass just sounds really off, or it could be that it was muffled before iTunes finally fixed the bass issue to make it a bit more prominent.

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 14
Chech your iTunes EQ setting. Mine is set flat.

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #14 of 14
10. 2.1.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back