Its Windy but I'm not blown away
Jan 18, 2007 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Happytab

Head-Fier
I am just trying my new CX300's and I was really hoping to be blown away by the difference over my old Apple buds....... but I'm not
frown.gif

I think I have a good seal - they seem to be isolating ok but where is the wow factor.

I burnt them in using pink noise and everything but they just seem ok - nothing special.

I am dissapointed - they are not bad just not earth moving or even a noticable inprovement for that matter - maybe I am tone def or somoething.

Jan 18, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 16
Heh, you sound just like my friend who I lent my KSC75 to, and he couldn't tell the slightest difference in SQ between these and his Logitech speakers...
tongue.gif

Give it some time, listen to the cx300 more, and then when you go back to try the ibuds you will see how huge the improvement is.

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 16
Also, what audio quality are you using?? If you are using stock 128 kbps mp3's you won't see a very big difference. Also don't give up on quality cans, once you move on up to some really good can's like 580's 595's 6XX's, Grado's, and AKG's you will notice a significant difference.

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 16
I thought this thread was to do with the weather here in the UK (well at least around the Midlands) as it's being battered by the wind a bit here to (couple of trees fallen down etc..)

Like everyone else says - stick with the new buds for a while and let your ears get used to the sound and then try the apple buds again and you'll most likely notice a difference then. Plus you could try checking what bitrate your using on your audio files.

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 16
I thought this thread was about the storm in Europe as well. :p

Anyway, listen to the CX300 some more then go back to the stock buds. See if you can hear a difference.

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 16
"I think I have a good seal - they seem to be isolating ok but where is the wow factor."

You say they seem to be isolating OK, which confuses me, because it sounds as though you haven't "plugged" them into your ears. Are you wearing them like you would stock earbuds -- just hanging in the exterior of the ear? I'm not being condescending -- after all, the step up to canal phones wouldn't necessarily induce an overwhelmingly intense improvement or a jaw-dropping "wow" moment, anyway ... but some improvement would be expected.

In addition to the questions about source and file size, are you comparing them in a quiet room? Out and about, with ambient noise, I would think canal phones would be able to "direct" their sound to your ear drums more effectively than buds would.

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 16
How long have you burned in for? I've been burning in my iBuds Mk2
evil_smiley.gif
for 24 hours using a variety of sine-wave sweeps, pure frequency sine-waves, pink noise, large dynamic range symphonic works, etc and already I'm already hearing a noticeable increase in the bass and mids detail. Highs extension has also improved and sound clearer than straight out of the box. I can't believe I'm doing my burn-in test on a freakin' pair of iBud Mk2; the iBud Mk2 really aren't that bad you know, but there we go
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 16
Most of my music is ripped at 256 but I do have some 192's lurking there somewhere.

Maybe it is a problem with getting a good seal - I will try and ram, twist, persuade them deaper later and see.

I think I am between sizes M/L which might be part of the reason.

Do any other tips fit on the CX300's and if so do any improve SQ ?

Thanks again.

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 16
Whoa, the tips with canaphones sit at the entrance of your ear canal. They're no where near as good as tips with IEMs or go as deep. I do see what you mean though. I went through a phase with my Panasonic HJE50s where I used smalls. Then I changed only the right to medium and it was better! lol weird ears here
tongue.gif
That's why I like foamies

I remember buying my first canals and comparing to stocks, and the canals a) didn't fall out b) weren't tinny and had more bass (bass boost is the popular signature of public with canals)

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 16
For me, the biggest advantage of my first step up to canal phones was they stayed put -- they didn't fall out or shift around. That alone contributed to better overall sound.

Now that there's an "arms race" in the canal phone class, sound quality should go up, which combined with a good, snug fit can only help those of us who listen to 'phones in this category (try using the largest possible soft, flexible tips, to see if the sound experience improves for you ... a lot of people seem to try a size a little smaller than may be best for them sonically).

PS: Since you weren't using 128 kbps files, that can't be the problem. Hope you get acclimated.

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 16
As the CX300 do not use drivers, they use an armature, they do not benefit from burning in.

However your ears will benefit from acclimatising to the new presentation of the music.

Canal phone/ IEM ???? is just a spectrum, aren't we really just talking penetration?

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happytab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do ther tips fit the CX300's then - like the Shure foamies for instance ?

Nope. (At least I don't think so) You may be able to get the e2c tips to work, as they have a larger barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back