it's times like this i wish i had a credit card
Oct 17, 2005 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

m.e.

New Head-Fier
i've been looking for portable headohones for quite awhile now and have yet to find the right ones......i just commit to one idea......i mostly listen to alternative hip hop, like blackalicious, the roots, and the occasional jazz or blues and looking for headphones that will give me reasonable sound for a reasonable price about 100 dollars

i've looked into
px100......$79.99 at the source
px200......$99.99 at bay bloor radio
sr60........about $110 at national sound
hd497.....$99.99 at the source

isolaton isn't a big deal but i will be using it on the streetcar/bus/subway and just walking...and it will be driven by a mp3 flash player most of the time. So does anybody have any advice on what the best chioce for me is or any other recommendations???

thanks

p.s. i'm not a big fan of IEM

Oct 17, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 22
I bought my wife the px 100....she loves them for her I-River and she could care less about audio quality.I listened to them and was very surprised.I paid total $44 dollars several weeks back on Amazon.Affordable and very good sound !

Oct 17, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 22
Where are you located?

Good reason to fill in some basics in your profile.

The prices seem excessive but I don't know where you're at.

Todd has the SR60's for $69.

Troll the For Sale Forum- buy from an established memeber and you should be able to get a nice pair of headphones for $100 or less.

Mitch

Oct 17, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 22
I think he is located in Toronto, Canada. So those prices are in Canadian dollars. The dollar right now is fairly good for us, though, so to buy $1 US is only about $1.20 CDN.

He could definitely get cheaper prices, either by ordering online from US stores, or maybe checking out some local computer stores for the Sennheisers.

I live in Vancouver and there are computer stores here that have the px100 for $66 cdn for example. So there are probably local stores that have it for less there as well.

Oct 17, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 22
I was in National sound just last weekend and he gave me %20 off the sr-80's (150 with tax). maybe he'll do something for u. The headroom prices are still a little better though(you have to email them for a cheaper shipping rate.) I bought from him anyways though, could have saved about $20 if bought from headroom.

edit: the prices at the source are terrible compared to headroom (remember your'e saving money on the tax too
icon10.gif
)
http://www.serpac.com/products_h-65-9v.htm

Oct 17, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 22
yeh i am located in toronto....and i realize i will save money online but being a highschool student i don't have that resource ....so i am very much still dependant on stores...i think my best bet right now is to audition some headphones, i hear that bay bloor radio has a good selection for auditioning

Oct 17, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 22
I don't know if it's available in Canada, but most stores here in the US offer credit gift cards. It's basically a gift card you can use anywhere. I have an American Express and MasterCard that I use to buy stuff online.

Oct 17, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 22
Do you have a PayPal account? - If so, you can go shopping with the PayPal credit card - Just log into your account to find it (It's a kind of 'virtual' card)
smily_headphones1.gif
Parents order for you?

Oct 17, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 22
Also if you’re not in a great rush check out the meets- there’s a forum down there \/ somewhere? Find out who’s local and maybe see about getting together for a mini meet or participating in a regular meet. It’s great talking to like minded folks. There’s the possibility they might have some nice cans just collecting dust and they might give you a good deal?

In that general price range there has to be a headphone that meets your needs it’s just identifying it with out going through several pair.

Mitch

Oct 17, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #11 of 22
The PX 100's are the only cans I've heard out of the four and I think they're great but they leak like crazy making them not so good for noisy environments. The SR 60's leak as well but out of the four they're the best sounding from what I've read.

Oct 17, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 22
m.e.,
Have you looked into the Senn hd280pro?
They can be had for under $70 these days; monster bargain.
I think theyll outperform all on your list, with the exception of the sr-60's, but those are open and not very conducive to traveling.
The 280's have better sound isolation than the px series and sound better IMO.
Def. best bang for your buck, sub $100/closed design.

Oct 18, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 22
I dont have a credit card either so i just bought my px100s using my ATM/debit/check card off amazon. they came today
biggrin.gif
US $30 from dakmart.com with $9 usps first class express shipping if anyones curious. they automatically subscibe you for a magazine which is included in the product price, and you can get a $5 refund if your not lazy and cancel the subscirption.

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #14 of 22
i wasn't aware that you could purchase itame off amazon with debit cards. that is some thing i'll definitely look into. but right now i think the sr 60 combined with my mx400 when it is to quiet and the sr60 will leak to much

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by m.e.
i wasn't aware that you could purchase itame off amazon with debit cards. that is some thing i'll definitely look into. but right now i think the sr 60 combined with my mx400 when it is to quiet and the sr60 will leak to much

Does your debit card have some kind of Mastercard or Visa logo on it? I use my debit card exclusively for online purchases pretty much anywhere - I don't think they even care or know whether you have a debit card or credit card, as long as it is Visa or Mastercard or one of the other big card-issuers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back