It's time to upgrade...looking for ideas.
Nov 5, 2017 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Low Fidelity

100+ Head-Fier
After a number of years of valiant service from my 160 GB iPod and my supermacro 3, it's time to upgrade.

The iPod's battery is getting short and although it hasn't failed, that hard drive has to be on death's doorstep. I'm weighing the options of swapping out the harddrive for either a solid state drive or a couple of memory cards and an adapter. Refurb'ing would also include a new battery but i would still be limited by the lack of bluetooth for casual listening to wireless speakers...

It's been years since i've really even thought about buying a DAP, so I've just started looking at various options from Fiio and IBasso. I'm looking for something that can hold up to at least 512GB, preferably with two card slots. And bluetooth, again, for non-critical listening. Having a built in DAC would be great and would reduce my need for another device.

Currently, i'm doing most of my listening through Shure 535s. I've been adding music to my iPhone 7plus, but I really hate that i need a lightning adapter + DAC to really drive the IEMs. I do have a Dragonfly black but when i'm listening, I can't charge, which I find irritating.

Music is pretty eclectic. Mostly Classic Rock, blues, and R&B. I don't do much EDM/RAP that requires bottomless bottom end.

What are some of the solutions that you guys have come up with for Portable Music?

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 4
After a number of years of valiant service from my 160 GB iPod and my supermacro 3, it's time to upgrade.

The iPod's battery is getting short and although it hasn't failed, that hard drive has to be on death's doorstep. I'm weighing the options of swapping out the harddrive for either a solid state drive or a couple of memory cards and an adapter. Refurb'ing would also include a new battery but i would still be limited by the lack of bluetooth for casual listening to wireless speakers...

It's been years since i've really even thought about buying a DAP, so I've just started looking at various options from Fiio and IBasso. I'm looking for something that can hold up to at least 512GB, preferably with two card slots.

You might want to get the Fiio X7 II or X5 III, which can run pure Android. Either way though if you've been using an iPod there will always be the risk of pulling your hair out. If you actually like how iTunes works, that's going to be even worse. Complaints about that just degenerate into flame wars and chunks of the DAP threads get deleted.

And bluetooth, again, for non-critical listening.

Currently, i'm doing most of my listening through Shure 535s. I've been adding music to my iPhone 7plus, but I really hate that i need a lightning adapter + DAC to really drive the IEMs. I do have a Dragonfly black but when i'm listening, I can't charge, which I find irritating.

A cheap alternative for use on the go that gets around the Lightning port is the Fiio BTR1. Bigger battery than bluetooth cables with a built in amp, and more power too.

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 4
Take a look at the Audio Opus #1 if you don't need streaming, it has 2 card slots and is a superb player :D

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 4
Fiio tends to have great products for the money, the X7 comes to mind. As a side note, I think any DAP you get will have its own DAC and amp section so don't worry about that. I've never seen a DAP that only has digital outs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back