It's time for you guys to spend my money once again...
Jun 15, 2007 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

grndslm

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm itching for a new pair of cans so I'll actually have some credibility behind saying that the KSC75 is the greatest headphone ever.
tongue.gif

But seriously, tho... I'm trying to find a can that the newest Supermini's (aka: microfied Supermini) can really open up. And based on my musical tastes (everything but country & classical), I think I'm headed towards Grados/Alessandros or perhaps Beyers, maybe even Equation Audio RP-21.

Just so you guys know, I already have a Sony MDR-V6 & the KSCs mentioned above. Love them both, but am looking for something even more detailed, possibly deeper bass...something that benefits greatly from amping. Apparently MS-1s aren't as beneficial to amping as DT880...so I might go down the Darth path. Who knows?!
blink.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 14
Any bassheads in the hizzouse? Lookin' for that detailed bass, and preferably something that will open up more with amp.

Considering RP-21, DT880/990, MS-1/2, perhaps a couple more.

Starting to think I should go with the Darths, but lotso people seem to think MS-1s have an awesome sound, too.

Any ideas??

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 14
Sooo.... DT880s are better than DT990s?? They seem to priced more all over the place.

I guess I'll have to get the 250 ohm Beyers first to get the most outta my amp.... then I'll have to convince someone else to buy some Alessandros.

Anybody else have any thoughts on which of these [brands of] cans give more detailed bass??

I guess what I'm getting at is what else sounds as good or better than DT880/990 for same or better price?

And could an unamped MS-2 sound as good as a DT880 amped with Supermini?? I find this hard to believe, but ya never know.

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 14
An unamped Grado/Alessandro does very well from my experience. A DT-880 has detailed bass imo but nowhere near as much quantity as 770 does. If you want accurate bass then 770 may not be it for you...but if you want
basshead.gif
then look no further, and if you have the ca$h, Darth it!

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sooo.... DT880s are better than DT990s?? They seem to priced more all over the place.

I guess I'll have to get the 250 ohm Beyers first to get the most outta my amp.... then I'll have to convince someone else to buy some Alessandros.

Anybody else have any thoughts on which of these [brands of] cans give more detailed bass??

I guess what I'm getting at is what else sounds as good or better than DT880/990 for same or better price?

And could an unamped MS-2 sound as good as a DT880 amped with Supermini?? I find this hard to believe, but ya never know.

hey.. i may be able to help you to choose between an 880 and 990.. i have both of them here but theyre still burning in..ill update them within a few days..and i also have the dt770 and the FOTM denon d2000 with me..most of them are still burning in..

Jun 18, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey.. i may be able to help you to choose between an 880 and 990.. i have both of them here but theyre still burning in..ill update them within a few days..and i also have the dt770 and the FOTM denon d2000 with me..most of them are still burning in..

Yes, please... Lemme know what you think of all of them after they're burnt in!! Post here or at least link to another thread if you start a new one.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 14
If you like the sound sig of the KSC75s, then the Gradossandros will give you more of what you're looking for. Better detail, better bass but with a familiar sound signature. An amp still benefits them, but they don't rely on one to sound outstanding.

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #14 of 14
Well, as stated... I've already got my versatile cans: MDR-V6 and KSC75.

On to the next two, more specialized cans that I'm about to buy... I'm already sold on the MS-1. So as for the other can that presents more soundstage, deep & detailed bass, etc... Which Beyer Dynamic 'phone should I be looking at, in terms of overall SQ and value? Guessing DT880 if I don't wanna do the Darth mod, and DT770 if I do...but only get 80ohms version!!

As for real questions:

1) Are you guys sure that Larry won't mod the 250ohms one? With an amp, driving each to the same volume will yield a similar sound, no? The exact sound with the 250ohms having a little darker background??

2) What else compares to the DT880 or Darth Beyer in terms of SQ and value??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back