It's official - X10 now worth more than it's weight in Gold
Nov 2, 2008 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ADD

500+ Head-Fier
With the most recent price rise of the Klipsch X10 in Australia, I have made the following calculation:

Retail price: $549 AUD
Price of Gold per gram (as at 31st October 2008): $34.83 AUD
Weight of X10 in grams: 10
Value of 10 grams of Gold: $348.30 AUD

X10 is 57% more expensive than the same weight in Gold
devil_face.gif

Or, going by the latest Australian street price:

Street price: $439 AUD
Price of Gold per gram (as at 31st October 2008): $34.83 AUD
Weight of X10 in grams: 10
Value of 10 grams of Gold: $348.30 AUD

X10 is 26% more expensive than the same weight in Gold
tongue_smile.gif

This is the price consumers have to pay for a headphone that has garnered such high praise amongst owners and reviewers alike, including winning the What Hi Fi 2008 headphone product of the year.

For half a grand, though, I would want my Klipsch X10, plus Amy's and Professor Thump's autographs ebossed on a brass plaque, plus a year subscription to the Sydney Symphony ("A" reserve)
wink.gif

OK, I love these headphones but like every other product out there they still have their imperfections. I know I said my myself I thought it was terrific value, but now I am not so sure. I'm not really sure something like this is worth more than half a grand, especially as mine already have some wear on the rubber boot, despite my taking exceptionally good care of them. I fear I might be up for another pair after the warranty expires, but at the new price they are a major, major investment.

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm no economist and I agree that's a ton of money for a pair of IEMs. But you sound like you're blaming Klipsch for the price. Don't you feel it's the international currency fluctuation that's at fault? Dollar up, dollar down, euro up euro down--that sort of thing. It really sounds like you're blaming the manufacturer for a currency fluctuation none of us can foresee or influence

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 3
Dude, even in USA, the street price for X10 increased man~but its just a good thing for us guys who bought it earlier, so even later on when we wanna upgrade, we can still get the most out of it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back