It's official... iPad!!
Jan 28, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #106 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That one trick pony aka kindle is an overpriced brick that only does ebooks. I disagree with you saying this is a Jack of many trades but master of none, this looks to be a great web surfer and e-reader among other things. I would actually rather read a book on this than the kindle, and yes I've tried reading on the kindle and I didn't like it. I can't justify paying that much for just an e-reader when you really don't get that great of savings on the books. If that was the only option, I would just as soon just continue buying books in print media. Also I think you will be surprised when these are flying off the shelves, and not just to mac fanboys. Give it a little time and other companies will be mimicing it as well.

Exactly, i cant bring myself to spend that kind of money on something that will read books, specially when the books are no cheaper than going to the store and getting the paperback. But with this its not just an ebook reader, its also great for internet browsing, and email. and i dont really care about flash, everyone should get on the HTML5 bandwagon
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #107 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will there be a digital output for audio?

On all of Apple's current computers with the exception of the Mac Pro (which separates them), the 3.5-mm analog stereo headphone jack doubles as an optical digital out. It would be logical for them to implement that same setup here
popcorn.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #108 of 379
you cant properly web browse many sites without flash... and that is pretty dumb on apple's part.
no USB... wow
no OSX.
just an ipod touch with bigger screen and more fail

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #109 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't want to read ebooks on this . . . unless you've had substantial experience with e-ink then you really just don't know the difference. It's like the difference from going to a CRT to a LCD . . . but instead it's LCD to e-ink

Totally agreed and 2nded. The future is bound to be interesting though, because while OLED screen technology becomes ubiquitous for these tablet computers (the iPad is bound to be the first of many), e-ink displays will offer full color and full-motion video. Both technologies are already developed and being prepared for the masses.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #110 of 379
So no USB port or SD card slot, but Apple is offering a camera (usb) adapter, as well as an SD card adapter
Ipad%20USB%3ASD%20adapters.png

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #111 of 379
I think that one of the most significant things about the iPad from a technical point of view is the fact that Apple has introduced an entirely new line of CPUs to the world for this thing. The 1GHz Apple A4 processor is a "custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip", and is not Intel or AMD or Qualcomm (iPhone) or even Motorola (Power PC); this is an in-house proprietary design from Apple's higher intelligence (R&D) department, and it is just the beginning
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #112 of 379
As a design/college student I can imagine using this in all of my classes, from taking notes in class with a stylus pen and sketching out thumbnail drawings for my projects and not having to waste tons of paper, to reading my books from it or just jotting down reminders/notes for the day. Imagine if this goes mainstream like the iPod has or the Macbook has, we could really, really cut down the use of paper. I would hardly ever have to use paper notebooks again.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #113 of 379
Looks like the back is white to me, and that it's definitely the world's most capable, and probably most expensive,
dimensions_20100127.jpg

picture frame.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #114 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the back is white to me, and that it's definitely the world's most capable, and probably most expensive, picture frame.
dimensions_20100127.jpg

I think your monitor brightness/contrast is set too high, if you think that is white... the back is aluminium, as Jobs himself said in the keynote.

I'm pretty stoked about this tablet, because it looks like something nice just to grab when I want to surf the net while watching tv. Also, I'd like to get one to teach my mum about the internet. There's something more intuitive about surfing about a page with your fingers than a mouse.

Then again I like newspapers as well.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #116 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by TLY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a design/college student I can imagine using this in all of my classes, from taking notes in class with a stylus pen and sketching out thumbnail drawings for my projects and not having to waste tons of paper, to reading my books from it or just jotting down reminders/notes for the day. Imagine if this goes mainstream like the iPod has or the Macbook has, we could really, really cut down the use of paper. I would hardly ever have to use paper notebooks again.

Hopefully they will announce handwriting recognition and a Wacom-type of interface for sketching and painting

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #117 of 379
Really? Look at the side view; where the delineation between silver and white seems quite clear.

But I do like me monitor bright
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think your monitor brightness/contrast is set too high, if you think that is white... the back is aluminium, as Jobs himself said in the keynote.

I'm pretty stoked about this tablet, because it looks like something nice just to grab when I want to surf the net while watching tv. Also, I'd like to get one to teach my mum about the internet. There's something more intuitive about surfing about a page with your fingers than a mouse.

Then again I like newspapers as well.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #118 of 379
It would be much better if i could knock the laptop out of my life completely, which got me thinking, all id need for that is for this to be more computerish so i can sync my iphone/ipods to it. Maybe they are releasing it with iPhone software becuase they havent had time to make OSX all touch ready. Maybe later down the road they will come out with a iPad pro with OSX on it? and maybe update this one with it? just a thought

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #119 of 379
Quote:

Hopefully they will announce handwriting recognition and a Wacom-type of interface for sketching and painting

I'm pretty sure they will. There are already apps like that for the iPhone/iTouch. I just never used them because the screen on the iTouch is so small. This thing will keep all those App developers pretty busy for a while.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #120 of 379
My sister is already nagging for me to get her one for her birthday, thank you Mr. Jobs for emptying my bank account once again.

I personally would not buy this unless there were some really stand out applications and games, if not, i will stick to me eeepc, it does more than the ipad can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back