It's Friday! and I am bored.
Mar 24, 2006 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

arnesto

500+ Head-Fier
I just wanted to throw this question out and get any type of feedback.

I wanted to upgrade my system but I don't really know what I should do.
My major complaint has to do with muddy mid-range with vocals in my setup.

My system setup is:
Onix XCD - 88 CD Player
VHAudio Pulsar Interconnect
2004 Headroom Max headphone amplifier
Senn. HD600 Headphones

Options I was considering were getting a power conditioner.
So far I like the Furman. http://www.furmansound.com/products/..._15a/pm8_2.php

Or getting a DAC. So far I like the Lavry DA-10.

Or should I scrape everything and go with a Stax system.

Or any other recommendations. I forgot to mention budget. (maybe around 1000, but I am flexible.)

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 6
I would defineatly go with the source upgrade over the power conditioning. Your source for the music ultimately determines the quality of your listening experience imo.

Also, if you want stats, I would get you feet wet first with a small purchase. They quite different than dynamic cans and you may not like them. There seems to be two different house sounds for stax. Something like the Sr-003 or my Sr-X mark III, have a smaller headstage, slightly rolled off extreme treble, but are insanely detailed and they get the toe tapping. The other sound is the more speaker like presentation of the Lambdas and Sr-404's from what I have read they do not have the midrange of my phones, but are more balanced.

I would recommed either a pair of Sr-X mark III (two on ebay) with a transformer or vintage stax amp or a pair of Sr-003( from audiocubes). Lambda signatures or Novas might not be a bad idea either depending on what you want.

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd say your source is the weakest link. The 2004 Max is an excellent amp, irrespective of whether it has the early '04 or fall '04 reference module (I like both a great deal, though they are quite different from one another), and you'd have to spend a LOT of money to get something that is better (taste issues aside) - you can though of course upgrade to Max Modules, which is a significant upgrade in my book interms of clarity and detail and without a doubt the most cost effective way to get a better sounding amp. I would however put the money into the DAC, and maybe an Equinox cable for your Senns. I don't recommend throwing out a system you know and generally like with some exceptions to try and fill in the gaps. Better to work with what you have. I've made that mistake before, and ended up pretty much back where I started.

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix
I would defineatly go with the source upgrade over the power conditioning. Your source for the music ultimately determines the quality of your listening experience imo.

Also, if you want stats, I would get you feet wet first with a small purchase. They quite different than dynamic cans and you may not like them. There seems to be two different house sounds for stax. Something like the Sr-003 or my Sr-X mark III, have a smaller headstage, slightly rolled off extreme treble, but are insanely detailed and they get the toe tapping. The other sound is the more speaker like presentation of the Lambdas and Sr-404's from what I have read they do not have the midrange of my phones, but are more balanced.

I would recommed either a pair of Sr-X mark III (two on ebay) with a transformer or vintage stax amp or a pair of Sr-003( from audiocubes). Lambda signatures or Novas might not be a bad idea either depending on what you want.

Isn't the onix-88 supposed to be one of the more aggressive / foreward sources?

I was VERY impressed with neilpearts onix-88 / M^3 / DT880 setup. Anything BUT muddy vocals. Swapping the DT880 with my HD580 in that rig, I was also very impressed. I have never heard my HD580 so alive and dynamic. Of all the higher end cans I have heard, MS2, RS1, SA5k, DT880, K501/601/701 the HD600 and HD580 have the most tame, mellow upper midrange. I wouldn't go so far as to call them muddy. But IMHO they are a small notch down from the SA5k, DT880 and RS1 in terms of vocal clarity.... and I think its largely due to their somewhat recessed upper mids (?????)

Hope this helps...
Garrett

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Isn't the onix-88 supposed to be one of the more aggressive / foreward sources?

I was VERY impressed with neilpearts onix-88 / M^3 / DT880 setup. Anything BUT muddy vocals. Swapping the DT880 with my HD580 in that rig, I was also very impressed. I have never heard my HD580 so alive and dynamic. Of all the higher end cans I have heard, MS2, RS1, SA5k, DT880, K501/601/701 the HD600 and HD580 have the most tame, mellow upper midrange. I wouldn't go so far as to call them muddy. But IMHO they are a small notch down from the SA5k, DT880 and RS1 in terms of vocal clarity.... and I think its largely due to their somewhat recessed upper mids (?????)

Hope this helps...
Garrett

I think neilpearts onix has be modded, mine is stock. Probably a difference there. Yeah, and calling the HD600 muddy is an exaggeration.

Maybe a DAC or a new CD player. I still think there will be an issue with the overall sound because the headphones. What do you think are the best headphones for clarity in the vocal midrange?

Mar 25, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 6
Max out your CCs by buying the best gear up on the FS forum, then your gigantic debt will cause great worry and thereby minimize any semblance of boredom.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back