Its coming... The Big One- An indepth review of the 3 most popular amplifiers
Oct 12, 2005 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rhydon

MOT: Symphones
I have them all here right in-front of me: The Headamp GS-1. The PS Audio GSHA. The Singlepower PPX3 SLAM.

Some of the most acclaimed equipment in headphone amplification under $1000.00
Ive been analyzing the GS-1 and PPX3 for some time now. With the PS Audio joining the ring, its gonna be a battle to the death.

The review will be completed with the following setups:

Source: Denon 2910/ Perpetual Tech P3a
Cables: Harmonic Tech TRUTHLINK, Singlepower Silver Beauty.
Headphones: Joseph Grado HP-2

Stay tuned!

Oct 13, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 8
Sounds good!! I'm jealous! All three interest me. Would be nice if you had a Mapletree Purist there too, surely would be great with the Grado's. I'm especially excited that you are using Grado's. Be sure to use the PS Audio's USB input too! When do you plan to post impressions?

Oct 13, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Sounds good!! I'm jealous! All three interest me. Would be nice if you had a Mapletree Purist there too, surely would be great with the Grado's. I'm especially excited that you are using Grado's. Be sure to use the PS Audio's USB input too! When do you plan to post impressions?

Yes. Please.

Can't wait to hear your impressions, as two of those amps are on my "OMG!!111!!1oneone I want an amp" shortlist.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Impressive...I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Just one picky little observation: I'm not exactly with you that these are THE 3 most popular amplifiers. Based on what?? The PS Audio is brand new to the market...how popular could it be at this point? Seems pretty subjective to me...just a thought.

Oct 13, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Just one picky little observation: I'm not exactly with you that these are THE 3 most popular amplifiers...just a thought.

Very good point Elrod-Tom. I was thinking the same thing when i wrote the title. However, in order to keep the title ketchy and less confusing i decided not to include the "with discretion" or "most promising amplifiers considering budget constraints". None-the-less, they are still some of the most thought after (on a wider scale) amplifiers currently for sale.

Also, I will be including in-depth pictures with the review. Yes, i have used the PS audio's USB and have been most impressed so-far. I will post further impressions in the review. You can expect the full write-up sometime next week (please forgive me, but school is starting to pick up).

Also, everyone, post some questions you have about either of the units, be it certain options you want me to pay close attention to, or additional tests. I will be sure to go in-depth and include the replies to them in the review.

Rhydon.

Oct 13, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 8
Well I thought the M3 and the Dynahi were among your three, and neither one is
confused.gif
confused.gif
This suggest we should have a poll to find out what's the current most popular amp
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 8
Lol, a poll actually would be a good idea. But in regards to the three i listed not being the top "most interesting" "promissing" or "special" 3, i stand by my judgment.

Notice i said "SOME of the most aclaimed amplfiers". Im really not gonna argue on my choice of words, lol this post isnt about that.

What this post IS about, is notifying the Head-fi group that a review will be made of three popular amplifiers under $1000. Weather they are YOUR special three is up to you!
orphsmile.gif

Now PLEASE, people, if you have any things you want to definatly see in the review, post below!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back