It's CES Time Kiddos
Jan 7, 2008 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

virometal

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone else refreshing Engadget every five minutes? If so, what hot gear you have your eye on?

I've been looking for a new LCD TV for my guy room, and the Sharp "Game-centric LCD" might just be the ticket:

lc-32gp3u-beauty-3up.jpg

"Fast Input Switching" Now that's sounds nice for someone like me who's skipping 'tween PC, TV, DVD, and 360 inputs all the time...On the other hand, us Yanks can finally drop 2.5k (retail) on a Sony XEL-1:

sony1_07.jpg

Sony also displayed a 27" OLED on the floor. So what's the deal with the OLED? I know insane Contrast, paper thin, but what are the negatives, if any?

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 28
^ The best part of that display, it's DLP (Wired) so may be surprisingly reasonably priced for Alienware that is.

Here's another shot:
img_3474.jpg

Lust worthy!

For a non display device, I like this Logitech mini wireless keyboard. This could come in hand for couch surfing:

img_3290.jpg

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ The best part of that display, it's DLP (Wired) so may be surprisingly reasonably priced for Alienware that is.

Too bad it's Alienware: I had to replace a $4000 Alienware laptop because they didn't know how to fix it. God knows how expensive one of their displays are when you factor that in!!!

I might actually get into Blu-Ray when this comes to market:

Blu-ray.com - CES 2008: Panasonic Press Conference - DMP-BD50

Panasonic-DMP-BD50.jpg

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Sony also displayed a 27" OLED on the floor. So what's the deal with the OLED? I know insane Contrast, paper thin, but what are the negatives, if any?

New technology (IE might have some kinks to sort out)...notice most reviews of TVs still give the nod to Pioneer plasmas as having the best color (the Kuro line). But I do think that the new LED technologies are really going to look awesome with future generation video codecs. They can offer HDR relatively inexpensively. I notice that one of the features of that Panasonic player I just linked was that it processes video at 12bpc. Right now movies are encoded at 8bpc, and I hope that with all these HDR technologies, the video consortiums start coming up with compression standards that go up to 16bpc.

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 28
I've never seen a LCD with a larger than 22" screen that looks good.

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Degradation. The organic material in OLED displays degrade much faster than existing display technologies. Even worse, different colors degrade at significantly different rates (blue sub pixels degrade 2-3x faster than red and green pixels), leading to usable display lifetimes that are shorter than the already short pixel lifetimes.

In current applications, mostly phones, car head units, and mp3 players, short product lifespans and generally low fidelity requirements make these downsides a nonissue.

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1. That's not an LCD.
2. You must have never seen a good LCD above 22".

If it was 2x1920x1200, I would consider it. 2x1440x900 doesn't really interest me.

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Eh? 22"ers are almost all TN. The more popular 24", 27" and 30"ers are PMA/MVA or S-IPS, which means if you got a well known >24", it'd definitely look better than a well known 22"

Jan 8, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin
Degradation...

Ahhh I see. That was the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

--

It wouldn't be a CES thread without the latest display monstrosity so I give you the Panasonic 150" Plasma (model number?).

2176862954_f4b17414eb.jpg

I would take this over the Alienware. Although the later is much closer to a semi-realistic possibility. Resolution for the beast is 4096 x 2160. Hope the scaler is up to snuff.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

I would take this over the Alienware. Although the later is much closer to a semi-realistic possibility. Resolution for the beast is 4096 x 2160. Hope the scaler is up to snuff.

That dimension is exactly 4k video standards .....wonder what it would look like at 8k
biggrin.gif

But if you're impatient....you too can get a Sony SXRD 4k projector: just for a meager $100,000!

Sony SXRD 4K Projector - 10000 Lumens :: HD Digital Projection :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Degradation. The organic material in OLED displays degrade much faster than existing display technologies. Even worse, different colors degrade at significantly different rates (blue sub pixels degrade 2-3x faster than red and green pixels), leading to usable display lifetimes that are shorter than the already short pixel lifetimes.

In current applications, mostly phones, car head units, and mp3 players, short product lifespans and generally low fidelity requirements make these downsides a nonissue.

not just life of the organic materials but also low brightness compared to LCD and plasmas and high power consumption. typical OLED displays are about 200nits brightness so they will wash out if any sunlight is shone on it so make sure not to place it near a window.

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

--

It wouldn't be a CES thread without the latest display monstrosity so I give you the Panasonic 150" Plasma (model number?).

I'd hate to accidentally crack that thing..

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

--

Dead pixels would look rather large on that set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back