It's been 4 years, looking to buy a new pair of cans
Jun 4, 2022 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

junki

100+ Head-Fier
It's been about 4 years since my last purchase, and now I'm looking for something new. I mostly use speakers, but when I do use headphones, I've always put on the Elex. I have a HD650 that has been stuck at work for over two years now of the pandemic.

I have a Sundara that I gave to my wife's PC, which she barely uses. Today, on a whim, I tried them on again, the first time in honestly years, and I've been glued to them for hours already. I remember many years ago I preferred the Elex, which was why I gave the Sundara to my wife, and now after years of relying on the Elex, these Sundaras just sound so rich and musical. Funny how the hedonic treadmill works.

Anyway, given how much I'm enjoying the Sundaras, especially that smooth rumbly bass, I'm thinking I'd like to get a higher end planar with great technicals and a neutral-warm tone. My Elex is great in many respects, but soundstage and imaging are rather lacking, so maybe something strong in those areas would be a great contrast. My budget is <$2000. I don't EQ, and although I'm not totally opposed to it, I'd rather avoid the entire process. I've become a very casual ex-audiophile of sorts, and I just want some (high-end) breath of fresh air.

I've been out of the hobby for a few years. What's all the rave these days?

Jun 4, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 15
For under 2000$ I'd say Hifiman Arya Stealth is an excellent planar. It's recently discounted to 1299$ which is a steal! It's on the brighter side but It's the best all-rounder I've heard under 2K$. It improves upon everything you like about Sundara. (Details, Soundstage, bass extension, timbre, dynamics)
If you want a slightly warmer sound you might find a used HE1000v2 which is also built better.
There's also the LCD-X 2021 which is quite a bit heavier. It's definitely warmer but not as wide and spacious. Audeze has also recently came up with the new MM-500 (1700$) which we don't know how it sounds yet.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 15
It's been about 4 years since my last purchase, and now I'm looking for something new. I mostly use speakers, but when I do use headphones, I've always put on the Elex. I have a HD650 that has been stuck at work for over two years now of the pandemic.

I have a Sundara that I gave to my wife's PC, which she barely uses. Today, on a whim, I tried them on again, the first time in honestly years, and I've been glued to them for hours already. I remember many years ago I preferred the Elex, which was why I gave the Sundara to my wife, and now after years of relying on the Elex, these Sundaras just sound so rich and musical. Funny how the hedonic treadmill works.

Anyway, given how much I'm enjoying the Sundaras, especially that smooth rumbly bass, I'm thinking I'd like to get a higher end planar with great technicals and a neutral-warm tone. My Elex is great in many respects, but soundstage and imaging are rather lacking, so maybe something strong in those areas would be a great contrast. My budget is <$2000. I don't EQ, and although I'm not totally opposed to it, I'd rather avoid the entire process. I've become a very casual ex-audiophile of sorts, and I just want some (high-end) breath of fresh air.

I've been out of the hobby for a few years. What's all the rave these days?
you selling the Elex?

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 15
Nothing really

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 15
Agree the Arya v3 is one of your best options for wide soundstage and more resolving than the Sundara. Take the other $600+ and either get a closed back or put it into your chain.

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 15
Another Arya V3 vote here. Or get a super powerful amp and a HE6SEV2

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 15
Sundara lover here. The logical upgrade should be Arya V3, but I think it's still a little too bright for my taste. Sound wise I prefer LCD-X (2021), but Audeze just announced the newest MM-500. Worth the wait I think (to audition).

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 15
Heard the X 2021 and the Arya (dont remember which version was). I didn’t like both. The lcdX 2021 lacked of depth and sounded very strained. The Arya was even worse, it had the ringing that I couldn’t bear. Like the transducers couldn’t stop even when the music stopped, it never settled and gave me headache after a while..
If I was you I would upgrade the amp or dac or an Utopia headphone

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 15
Jun 4, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 15
Heard the X 2021 and the Arya (dont remember which version was). I didn’t like both. The lcdX 2021 lacked of depth and sounded very strained. The Arya was even worse, it had the ringing that I couldn’t bear. Like the transducers couldn’t stop even when the music stopped, it never settled and gave me headache after a while..
If I was you I would upgrade the amp or dac or an Utopia headphone
Have you tried Sundara?

Of course there are other option like focal clear mg or zmf aeolus/auteur.

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #11 of 15
The Elex have really excellent imaging. I don't think that lacks at all on Elex. The soundstage is interesting too, very holographic.

I really think Elex is a great choice but they are aggressive sounding headphones.

If you like a more relaxed presentation, skip - but otherwise they are really good, detailed and crisp.

But hey 4 years is a long time with a headphone so it makes sense you are ready for something different.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks everyone. I think I'll go ahead and give the Ayra a shot. The Ayra seems to check a lot of boxes for me, especially it being relatively lightweight (lighter than the Elex, which is great!), as comfort has become a hugely important factor to me. I'm a little concerned about its reported hotness at 11-12kHz, but Amazon's return policy should insure that.

The Elex have really excellent imaging. I don't think that lacks at all on Elex. The soundstage is interesting too, very holographic.

Some people mean slightly different things when they use the word "imaging." For me, I find the Elex extremely fast and highly competent at instrument and vocal separation and isolation. On many songs, when the singer double tracks a section of the song, I can easily identify each individual voice track that makes up the harmony or embellishment. The Elex is so good at this that the presentation is sometimes more obviously separated rather than blended, like it is with Sundara/HD6XX, etc. It's a neat party trick, but it also sounds overly analytical and not as musical to me.

However, relative to the Sundara, the Elex has a pretty weird soundstage and poor sound placement. I'm not sure if the soundstage is smaller, or more one dimensional, or is front-focused, or all of the both, but with HRTF-processed audio, while I can easily distinguish between left and right, sounds that are supposed to be behind me remain slightly in front of me, or at least beside me. With the Sundara, the soundstage seems to be a natural 3D sphere around my head and I can much more easily place sounds that are supposed to be a specific orientation and distance from my head in that location.

you selling the Elex?
Nope.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 15
Agree the Arya v3 is one of your best options for wide soundstage and more resolving than the Sundara.
A lot more. So is the XS, HE-6SE. But either 6SE will need a potent amp.

Take the other $600+ and either get a closed back or put it into your chain.

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks everyone. I think I'll go ahead and give the Ayra a shot. The Ayra seems to check a lot of boxes for me, especially it being relatively lightweight (lighter than the Elex, which is great!), as comfort has become a hugely important factor to me. I'm a little concerned about its reported hotness at 11-12kHz, but Amazon's return policy should insure that.

Some people mean slightly different things when they use the word "imaging." For me, I find the Elex extremely fast and highly competent at instrument and vocal separation and isolation. On many songs, when the singer double tracks a section of the song, I can easily identify each individual voice track that makes up the harmony or embellishment. The Elex is so good at this that the presentation is sometimes more obviously separated rather than blended, like it is with Sundara/HD6XX, etc. It's a neat party trick, but it also sounds overly analytical and not as musical to me.

However, relative to the Sundara, the Elex has a pretty weird soundstage and poor sound placement. I'm not sure if the soundstage is smaller, or more one dimensional, or is front-focused, or all of the both, but with HRTF-processed audio, while I can easily distinguish between left and right, sounds that are supposed to be behind me remain slightly in front of me, or at least beside me. With the Sundara, the soundstage seems to be a natural 3D sphere around my head and I can much more easily place sounds that are supposed to be a specific orientation and distance from my head in that location.

Nope.

I agree with your write up there, and you describe that separation that the Elex does to individual elements well. I agree with it leaning analytical and almost akin to a surgical method of dissecting a song into separate bits rather than some cohesive blend of elements.

Also agree the soundstage is unique with them. I find it hard to describe but I enjoy whatever it is. However, I don't agree with the poor placement, I think it does directionality within that stage well but I can also understand where others without the somewhat odd kind of soundstage may be more precise.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #15 of 15
I just got the Ananda last week and plugged into an SMSL SP200 and M300 DAC they are so good, and deeper sound stage than the Sundara and better treble. They don't need a ton of power, going to order a DX3Pro this week to try an all in one with them.
The treble peak and very wide but not at all deep soundstage was the only things I didn't like on the Sundara, the Ananda fixes that and also more comfortable ear pads that'll fit anyone. Palit pads on Hifiman can get itchy until you wear them for a month or so (at least to me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back