It's been 3 years, what should I look for in a good in-ear solution?
Jan 11, 2008 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

consolejoker

New Head-Fier
The last time I bought anything remotely high end was the Sure E3Cs. That was paired to my Sony MD, don't ask which one, I forget.

Now I am back. I just bought an iPod Touch, 8GB model. I know, and iPod. I have resisted Apple products for my whole life until now, the functionality of the browser/wifi and music in one couldn't be ignored for my now pedestrian life.

So am I still an audiophile? Well sort of. I don't even know, maybe this iPod has good quality audio components?

Set me straight. What should I look for? The E3c as I recall was a bit lacking in bass, a little harsh on the ear.

Does my iPod need an amp to sound its best?

What is the latest to consider in the sub $500 price range for ear-canal solutions? What about ear-buds, are there any out there that even approach the ear-canal solutions these days?

To be honest I am freaked out after the little ends of my E3Cs would come detached and remain inside my ear! A few incidents and I swore of in-ear-canal solutions despite being able to coax the suckers out. Very scary!

Maybe I need bigger tips, I have no idea.

Thanks for hearing me and your suggestions, I look forward to getting back into this hobby.

Oh, I like classical, and I listen to a lot of rock. Obviously I have no illusions about the quality of rock recordings and the radio stations most of those recordings were originally intended for. But I would like a solution that addresses both needs fairly. I am probably about 70% rock and 30% classical.

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 15
I definitely have an opinion and I think that I can give you some helpful advice, but I am going to be late for class because of this site
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'll post during my break.

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10. I do not like the sound of the Shure's though. You can grab them for $350. If you can save up more then customs would be the best.

Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10

i listen to the same sort of music as you, although perhaps slighly more 'emo' and a bit less classical

i just bought both the se530 shures and the ue triple fi pro, i havent had them very long yet but already i use the triple fi more, unless i have a dud pair of se530s i really feel they hurt my ears at higher volumes because of the way the treble is handled, also the ue triple fis fit better for me and i can listen to it at higher volumes than the se530,

btw i have an iphone and dont find that the sound out is brilliant, but using a line out adapter is better

so i think its bye bye se530s they are too expensive to keep as well as the ue, but ill have to make sure the triple fis are definitly better before i do, a shame you cant try these out in the shops!

my triple fis cost 179 gbp

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 15
+1 on the livewires. awesome customs for ~$300 all in.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 15
You could save a significant amount of money and start with the Future Sonics Atrio M5s or M8s -- they kill the Shure E3Cs, to use an earphone with which you're familiar, especially using unamped iPods, with which the Atrios synergize very well (iPods don't EQ as well as some other makes, and the combination of the Atrios with an iPod can make for a very good portable rig). You might like them enough that you stay with them awhile ... or you could use your savings toward yet more Head-Fi gear.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Check out the thread -- they're a bit weird looking, but the promo photo with the flanges accentuates their weirdness (and you won't be looking at them, anyway) ... I (and may others on Head-Fi) use them with foamies, and their full, relatively natural sound (IEMs can do only so much) make them a very satisfying earphone for many users.

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 15
I like the PTH on the 530, haven't listened yet they are still in the box but in the work environment that is key for me.

Sounds like as always there are differing opinions. The ipod I guess is still not audiophile quality, or at least not the upper end of it.

But for my needs I sort of have to make a compromise this time. Frankly I am tired of being burned by so called better players that end up dying on me (Creative Zen M Vision), and a plethora of MD portables that are completely lacking in practicality.

I guess an amp with lineout is my best bet for now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back