ITS ALIVE!!!! Apple Music Server Displayed
Nov 8, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #46 of 55
It is certainly pretty tempting. How easy is it I wonder to use the ATV without the screen turned on just via the remote?
For instance if you compile a playlist do you have all the same functionality as with a CD remote for instance?
I wonder if the Salling Clicker style PDA remote can work with it then you could have a mini handheld browser..
Wonder if they thought of implementing this with the iphone....

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #47 of 55
The apple remote does allow for easy skipping of tracks etc without the screen but I leave the monitor on when I use it.

It has some cool screen saver opts that hang up pics of your album art or pics from your iphoto or a folder for PC users.

Nov 25, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #48 of 55
With all the Head-Fi down time I actually got to spend some time listening to the "APTV" rig. I have upgraded the input tube to a 1950's Amperex Bugle Boy with balanced triodes. This is a much better match with the DT990's. Gives the bass much less bloat and more air in all instruments. I highly recommend one.

I also have a pair of matched 5687 Tung-sol tubes coming for the power tubes which are supposed to air even more details. We will see.

I have sold the Meridian 203 DAC which I liked but seemed to think it was lacking in "air" dept.

I have a Musical Fidelity A3.24 coming this week with hopes it will bring the Sound Sig I am lookiing for. Always a quest for perfect tone.

Now I know why Eric Johnson didnt make it big. He spend his whole career on a quest for tone instead of performing and making records. (Check him out he is an awesome guitarists from the SRV era and recently released a cd called "Bloom")

There is a lesson to be learned here. If this DAC is not the answer I will be going to a Benchmark but hoping the quest stops here with the MF.

Anyone with a A3.24 have any thoughts? Please post some reviews and a list of whats in your rig.

Thats all for now more on Wed when the DAC gets here.

OH yeah the DAC is SILVER LOL!!!

Nov 25, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #49 of 55
Awesome system!
lambda.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is certainly pretty tempting. How easy is it I wonder to use the ATV without the screen turned on just via the remote?
For instance if you compile a playlist do you have all the same functionality as with a CD remote for instance?
I wonder if the Salling Clicker style PDA remote can work with it then you could have a mini handheld browser..
Wonder if they thought of implementing this with the iphone....

I use a mac mini to a wavelength cosecant usb dac. I typically use my monitor but Salling Clicker works fine. There is no need for a monitor. I don't know if it works with ATV. For an extra $300 I feel the mac mini is the better option, imo. It has optical, usb and is a fully functional computer.

Nov 25, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #51 of 55
I am surprised that Apple has not come out with any updates for the APTV.

There is a few quirky things I have noticed.

If you have the incorrect album art and then update it to the correct one you have to delete the songs from the APTV they re-sync the songs with the new album art.

In Itunes if you change album art you dont have to do this.

Also one other is if you decided you want to stream your itunes songs etc I can do figure how to unstream them other then shutting down Itunes on the computer.

Not big things but annoying!

Nov 26, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you explain your set-up? I see Front Row on the monitor and an Apple TV, Dac and THE Raptor.

Sure,

What you see on the monitor is similar to front row but is the direct interface that comes on the Apple TV.

The Core of the system (APTV) has an optical output that is fed into a DAC (Meridian 203) for Digital to Analog conversion (jitter reduction etc) and then connected to the Raptor.

My headphones at Beyer Manufacturer DT-990's (600ohms)
The current Raptor tubes are:
1 12au7 Amperex Bugle Boy for the 1950's (matched triodes)
2 Phillips 5687W Military (matched set)

New DAC Coming this week Musical Fidelity A3.24!

Any other questions feel free!

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #54 of 55
Musical Fidelity A3.24 is in and up and running!

More tomorrow but initial impressions:

Much more air around notes vs Meridian 203
Less thick and more quick
subtle sweetness to the tone over all

still playing with the two upsample settings. so far seems as if it's not a set-it and forget switch I was hoping for. The heavier more complex tracks seem to benefit from the bump to 192 but rock and blues tracks sound better at 96.

Dont know why but seems to hold true so far.

The DAC looks like it was built for this system Silver Front panel and BLUE led's. LOL!

PICS TOM!

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #55 of 55
Found a mint MUSICAL FiDELITY TRIVISTA on AG so I bought it and compared it to the A3.24. Very similar sound sigs but the VISTA had sweeter, more full tone. The A3.24 did everything right the TRIVISTA just did it even better.

I worried that a tube dac and tube amp may be too warm but thats not the case at all.

I had my 4th real eargasim with this DAC. The others being related to UE-10's, HR-2, & the RAPTOR

I will post full comparisions and pics soon! The A3.24 sold on AG in 2 hours so no loss taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back