It's a bicycle thread again. Recommend me a commute bike.
May 12, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #16 of 28
If you don't want a RB or something like the Coda Elite, for a commuter, you can't beat a XC MTB design. The aggressive geometry and riding position puts you in a position to react instantly to road emergencies. In that sense they are not comfortable like hybrids, but the upright riding positions of hybrids with its high bars makes for sluggish handling.

Everyone is getting soft these days. I just gave my XTR-equipped Pepperoni-forked 7 cog Cannondale to the kid down the street, and could ride that thing for days on end with no probems ('cept my knees). I see a lot of people bobbing around like merry-go-round horses on fully suspended MTBs and it make me go "hmmmm". Don't think of it as "but wrenching and wrist slamming", think of it as direct tactile connection with the road, because that is what it really is.

May 12, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
On the other hand I've discovered some NRS's going cheap. Flat bar, negative rise stem and Armadillo slicks should be all I need thereafter whichever I go for.

If you decide on the NRS, make sure it's NOT a first generation NRS, those ones had some cracking problems on the seat tube between the shock mounts. On later generation NRS's, there's a reinforcement for the seat tube between the bottom shock mount and the upper rocker arm pivot. The shock mount & upper pivot is mount is a single bracket that's welded onto the seat tube. On the 1st generation bikes they use a separate bracket for the upper pivot and lower shock mount, leaving a weakened seat tube in between which eventually cracks apart. We saw several of those failures when I worked in a bike shop.

May 21, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #18 of 28
What did you decide in the end bangraman? Just curious..

May 21, 2005 at 12:05 PM Post #19 of 28
I'm hanging around for the Trance to become available in the UK. Apparently it's not yet. Meanwhile I've outfitted the Imperial with lo-rise bars and 2.5" slicks on Atomlab DHR wheels. It's not exactly low profile
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

May 22, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #20 of 28
I've been using a Klien Attitude around town. If you ditch the knobby tires and go with something a bit more street worthy, it's a blast. I have a few flights of stairs that I need to ride down all the time, and this thing handles them like a dream.

May 22, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 28
How does one commute in a big city that isn't New York? You can't do it in LA unless you're going down the street.

I used to enjoy riding my bike up and down and around the block. This was when I was about 10 when you didn't have to wear a silly helmet. At least I didn't

May 22, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #22 of 28
May 22, 2005 at 8:47 AM Post #23 of 28
The Tiburon looks like a good bike to get started. The stem's adjustable, so you can start with it high to enhance confidence then lower it when you start wanting more speed. 700c wheels mean more mph per pedal.

And it has a suspension seatpost, which many see as an advantage for city commuting... I don't actually think suspension seatposts work that well, because with them I find I still have to ride like I have no suspension. A broken-in Brooks saddle might actually be way better than most of those telescopic things since none of them have any real damping anyway. The only post I've used worth the extra maintenance is the Cane Creek Thudbuster, which is too long to fit on non-MTB frames. That's the main reason why I'd like to go for a fully suspended XC bike even when commuting. I can crash over stuff at speed without "pre-hovering" my now flabby butt off the saddle.

May 22, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #24 of 28
Thanks Bangraman. Can you recommend any locks? I heard you could pick some Kryptonite U-locks with a pen cap.

May 22, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #25 of 28
I use the same locks as the couriers:
Abus Granit Steel-O-Flex 1000

I waited 6 months for my Kryptonite locks to be replaced, and then there was a notice saying they'd lost my previous details and could I re-register. I asked them a simple question: If I was going to have to wait for another 6 molnths for example, what to do in the meanwhile? If I buy new locks then obviously the previous locks will be redundant. Could I get a refund / loan lock at a shop? No. Would they provide loan locks? Only if I paid for it. In the end I replaced all my locks with Abus (I already had one Abus Granit lock which had withstood repeated attempts to break it) and tossed the Kryptonites in the bin. Needless to say, I won't be buying from them again.

May 24, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #27 of 28
Thanks for the warning about the Kryptonite locks Bangraman. I might pick up my bike next week.

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #28 of 28
I just agonized over a similar decision.
I needed two bikes (at least): a MTB and a road worthy, commuter/trainer.
Didn't make sense to me to skimp on the MTB as I was intruiged by all the new tech on MTBs. On the other hand, I'll be spending more time (on a daily basis) on the road bike as I have limited time to ride-mostly eves after the daughter is asleep.
I looked hard at stuff like the Dr Dew et al but in the end, a knowledgeable friend advised me to put some slicks on an all-rigid MTB for my commuter/trainer and spend my dough on the MTB- a Kona Kikapu Deluxe which I finally brought home yesterday. The commuter is a late 80's /early 90's Univega w/ halfway decent parts. I think it was a good decision as the roads around here suck in the extreme and I find the ride a bit rough even though the slicks are fairly large volume. I'm also going to try some narrower slicks on the FS MTB to see if I like that better. If so, I may invest in another set of cheapish wheels so I can switch back and forth quickly. I really looked hard at some flat bar/700c bikes but finally decided that my performance priority was off-road.
Spent some time training here in the neighborhood tonight and I think I made the right decision. May invest later in a touring bike a la Sutra or Jamis Aurora (like the steel a bit better for comfort) but we'll see.
Hoping this will help me continue my weight loss campaign and have some fun in the process.
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back