itouch 5, need advice from any and all of you using the itouch as the music source, but after hooking the gr10's to my home can rig i can see where improvements are possible.
Jun 20, 2015 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

auradud3

100+ Head-Fier
ok, so i posted earlier and got just 1 reply, so maybe i rethink this thread and get a little more info, for you guys to better help.

so i have the itouch 5, and i am pushing a pair of gr10's, the sound i get is amazing, the ipod can push the iem's past comfortable levels. but the one thing i do notice is even the gr10s seem to have no real weak point, i just love them. i am looking for something in the FIIO line, or something as musical. i do understand that apple made it so that i cannot use the lightning port as an audio out, so my options are an amp i can use mini to mini jack.with, and in order to get good quality interconnects all i find are in the 2-4" range. that is no problem but i do also think of cable management. so, my interests are to add headroom to my rig as well as smooth out any feedback or??? 

my uses would be totally as an amp/dac, or just a dac, seems simple right? but with so many options out there it has turned into a bit of a nightmare.

help!

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 8
If the iTouch's internal amp already provides more than enough power for your IEMs, there is little or no benefit in double amping.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 8
yes you are correct cel4145, i am more in need of a dac (portable) i have used the IEMs on my Mac mini with a Nad dac (desktop) and the difference is very noticeable.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 8
hello again all you can fans! so i finally found a good dac/amp the OPPO HA-2 with the Grados it works really well. but i ask myself is really well enough? so i ordered the Aurisonics ASG 2.5, i will use them with my current rig just to see a different side of the IEM world. this brings me to a new question, should i upgrade DAP's as well, i am looking at the A&K line, nothing huge, not rich! but it seems the A&K Junior just might be a significant improvement? as with most of you i want to hear my music. every little breath, drum beat, all the nuances well recorded music has to offer. please share with me your experiences........... thanks

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 8
  ok, so i posted earlier and got just 1 reply, so maybe i rethink this thread and get a little more info, for you guys to better help.

so i have the itouch 5, and i am pushing a pair of gr10's, the sound i get is amazing, the ipod can push the iem's past comfortable levels. but the one thing i do notice is even the gr10s seem to have no real weak point, i just love them. i am looking for something in the FIIO line, or something as musical. i do understand that apple made it so that i cannot use the lightning port as an audio out, so my options are an amp i can use mini to mini jack.with, and in order to get good quality interconnects all i find are in the 2-4" range. that is no problem but i do also think of cable management. so, my interests are to add headroom to my rig as well as smooth out any feedback or??? 

my uses would be totally as an amp/dac, or just a dac, seems simple right? but with so many options out there it has turned into a bit of a nightmare.

help!

Check if your Touch5 works with USB audio on iOS7. If it does, then you can use a USB DAC like the Ibasso D-Zero MkII. Use the phone by itself on the go, then have a dock waiting next to the D-Zero MkII at home.

From Ibasso's website

My MkI on my bedside rig, with an SGS3 on a dock. You can't see the OTG adapter and USB cable even from this angle.

Just to give you more ideas, here's my main rig - iPad2 works with the dock and CCK USB adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back