Itching to upgrade my PC audio setup
Jun 22, 2019 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DeadOfKnight

New Head-Fier
As I've said in the introductions thread, I've been lurking on and off for years, but it's my first time posting. I primarily consume all my media at my PC. Music, Movies, Gaming...I do it all. I got a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD and a 2.1 Speaker setup with Klipsch R-15PMs and an R-10SW. For my headset I have an old pair of Alienware Ozma 7s (Ultrasone HFi-700s) and an Antlion ModMic 5 which I find to be kind of a hassle, so I mostly just use the mic on my Logitech C922 Pro webcam.

I prefer closed phones, though they do cause fatigue. I've thought of getting a nice desktop mic, but apparently a headset mic is better to cancel out the noise of my screaming children? A headset like the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 seems ideal, but also overpriced for what it is. New sound cards may be worth it, but I haven't kept up. What should I upgrade? My sound card supports up to 330 Ohms.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 5
My suggestion.
Get a headphone amplifier with a line-output and connect it to the Titanium-HD's line-ouput (RCA) and connect the head amp's line-output to the line-input on the klipsch.
so Titanium HD > Head amp > Klipsch
What is your budget for a head amp and headphones?

Jun 22, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #3 of 5
My suggestion.
Get a headphone amplifier with a line-output and connect it to the Titanium-HD's line-ouput (RCA) and connect the head amp's line-output to the line-input on the klipsch.
so Titanium HD > Head amp > Klipsch
What is your budget for a head amp and headphones?
I don't know what's appropriate. Every time I come here, it feels weird seeing the relative mindset of audiophiles when it comes to pricing, which is probably why I've never posted anything. A lot of gear is considered reasonably priced over $1,000, but to me that feels like an exorbitant price. I can afford something like that, but I definitely can't afford to be a collector and have a bunch of stuff like that I don't use regularly, like many people here do. However, I would definitely value the opinions of you guys in this forum over some other tech forum.

The bottom line is I expect to fall in love and be married to whatever it is, and I'd rather have a $1,000 setup that does it for me than two $600 setups worth of gear that don't. Reading other threads, it seems that the Ti HD is more than capable of driving headphones above its' weight class, which is probably why I've never felt that it wasn't good enough. Of course, I haven't actually experienced anything better.

I've been using these headphones for over 10 years, and apparently I unknowingly bought a pair that would retain something of a cult following to this day. They're in great condition, but the padding has started to harden, and they are uncomfortable for long sessions. The Ultrasone Performance series seems to have a much more comfortable style and seems well received here. I want a large sound stage, especially for gaming, and I must confess I haven't actually used an open-backed pair for any length of time, but I know I enjoy isolation.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 5
If you want a great closed back headphone for gaming then the AKG K872 is just what you need . Yes it is expensive but it is ultra comfortable and for a closed back has very good soundstage and positional awareness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back