it sounds better late at night
Jun 3, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have been running your equipment for some time there may also be a warm-up factor on the equipment making it sound better over time. How significant this is depends on the equipment and how long it has been sitting idle. I don't think you will notice much on most cheaper items but the more sensitive and generally more sensitive equipment will register these effects.

I ddn't believe this until I ran a check by just letting the equipment run for an hour or so before listening. I had been bothered by the opposite effect, namely that when coming back from a trip and putting my equipment on it didn't seem to have the quality that I expected. Then one time on coming back, I just set the equipment up and let it run for an hour before listening and voila it sounded great. right off the bat.

Electrostatic phones need to charge up and can take 1/2 hour or more to start sounding good. Some people leave them in a fully charged state all the time to avoid sound loss. But even the electronics, cd players, DAC's etc. seem to take a while to get going at full quality.

Very interesting thread!I like listening to the music late at night,too.Some times it is so magical that i can listen four hours and then go to sleep at 4-5 o'clock in the morning.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've also noticed that warm up in equipment plays it's role as well.I usually leave my x can v8 playing for 1.30-2.00 hours at moderate volumes before start listening because after that it sounds more dynamic,more open and transparent,smoother and with better prat.

It's also worth mentioning that if you are tired,sometimes the music doesn't sound so good,like it has bad timing or like something is not going well.Have you ever noticed that?I've noticed that a couple of times in the past,but not so often to tell the truth.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i noticed my e4c's sounded more detailed and the later it gets the badder my spelling and gramer gets

This is absolutely the most entertaining thing I've read all day. Thanks for this.

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #35 of 43
At the moment my main headphones are closed - MP Quart QP 805 HP - the later it gets, the quieter it gets, and the more I notice the noises transmitted through my body, I find myself holding my breath in quiet passages of orchestral music.

Looking forward to my new open cans arriving...

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #36 of 43
As a jazz musician, I am very aware of what is hapening in music and can disect it more or less on first listen.
I notice that music seems much faster (i.e. my ears cant keep up) when I am tired. To me this doesnt really sound better or good, but being tired definitely influences.
I also think music sounds sonically better at 3 am, but i generally turn on my amp at 12 or so and by the time 3 comes around its been at optimum running temp for a while.

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicfailman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This wins the award for the oldest thread resurrected ever. Back from 2005. It is a pretty interesting thread though.

Not quite!
I believe that belong to this 7 year and 8 month resurrection. August 2001 -> April 2009...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ex...9/#post5591022

Anyway. I enjoy nightly listening sessions as well!
Guess its a combination of darkness, less noise, state of mind, ...

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #40 of 43
You know, I think it's about the fact that peoples astral energies don't interfere with upper mid-range clarity when everybody is sound asleep and dreaming, as they do when everyone is awake and busy.

biggrin.gif

Nah, serious... I put it down to the fact that the world in general gets much more quite at night. All work and duties are done for the day, it gets silent, the world kind of stops for a while. Apparently, it influences ones mindset in one way or another, that is beneficial for listening, whether through heightened or lowered receptibility, or whatnot.

Yes, I too love listening at night. It's different, deeper.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite!
I believe that belong to this 7 year and 8 month resurrection. August 2001 -> April 2009...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ex...9/#post5591022

Anyway. I enjoy nightly listening sessions as well!
Guess its a combination of darkness, less noise, state of mind, ...

Wow! I don't even know how someone would manage to find that...even using the search function, that thing should be on the very last page unless they searched for that exact phrase I guess. So I guess this thread gets the silver medal then.
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple things to add:

1. If you actually listen in the dark, I believe that since your eyes aren't receiving stimulation your brain can devote more attention to your listening.

2. At night, your body begins to kick out a different set of chemicals, ones for sleeping and dreaming, and your brain changes state. This nighttime brain state may be partially responsible for the enhanced pleasure of nighttime listening.

+1

serotonin, baby!
beerchug.gif
cortisol stress hormones go down in the evening, too, being highest in the AM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back