It kills me to say this ... but the iPod has the best sound quality
Jun 3, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #121 of 127
Oops my bad then. So what do the buttons do at stock settings?

Jun 3, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #122 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPod is more about Ease of Use.

When you have 5000 songs in your library u dont care much about Sound quality..

But what u care is about how easily u can switch to a song ..
jumping from A to P in Sony will take 2-3 minutes.

But in an iPod u can jump from A to Z under 10 seconds flat.

Thats why iPod is best selling.

Portable music is all about that and not sound quality.

If thats the case why bother upgrading ear/headphones, you should be happy as is
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #123 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What setup did you use to measure the frequency response? I ask because everyone measurement is different than others due to equipment, some have the 5G coming up on top while others have the Classic being the better DAP.

Neutrik (NTI) A2/A2D System
BTW, what are the chances that Apple change audio components w/o given notice?
I mean in the same product cycle e.g 8 gb touch 2007/2008.

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #125 of 127
The roll-off goes away when loaded with higher impedance headphones and amp, there is no roll off from the line out.

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #126 of 127
If the Sansa Fuze or the Cowon D2 had a line out I'd sell my Nano. Expandable memory is win.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #127 of 127
Yes, there's subjectivity involved.

No, it doesn't mean you can't compare them meaningfully.

Using terms like "warm" and "neutral" don't help, because that's often interpreted very differently, although most people don't realize it. Some people say "neutral" to mean that it is an accurate frequency response. This is certainly not the case on the bass side of the iPod's headphone output (see the bass roll-off article linked before). On the other hand, if you are referring to a sound that is particularly not intrusive... nothing really jumps at you, and everything is kinda settled back so you can hear the details - possibly details not even intended by the producer/engineers of the record, and you're calling that "neutral", then that might be appropriate.

When you're reviewing sound quality: Please mention the music material you are using for reference.
It's very deceiving when people pass judgements around. For example, I can imagine (and I have often found) that the iPod would excel in bringing out details in a solo acoustic guitar recording. Due to the fact that it rolls off the bass, the mids and trebles are naturally more prominent. But to decide that it is therefore more detailed, because you largely listen to acoustic guitar work, would be false, because someone who might largely listen to drums, and african percussion will find alot of missing details in the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back