IT Help Please!
Nov 29, 2004 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
I am in IT and I've never done database work. I'm now responsible for importing an Access file to SQL. I cannot use the Oracle Migration software because I don’t have the privileges it requires. I am forced to use SQL*Plus Release 8.1.7 (connected to a Unix server running Oracle 9i Release 9.2.0.4). Please don’t lambaste me for working in IT and lacking exposure to db administrating; the situation simply did not arise until now. So far I have converted the Access file to a .csv and I don’t know what else to do. There is no one to help me with this issue and the project must be completed ASAP. Any input at all will be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 10
Any help you can offer will be appreciated (I am a patient man)!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Any chance I could talk to you via YahooIM right now?

Well, there are a couple of ways which you could go about this. One would be choosing "Export..." from Access and then choosing "ODBC Data Sources". Doing this bypasses the need to export as a csv file, but does require some prep work.

OR, you could write out the SQL commands and execute them, which will also require some prep.

The Access option is easier, but is kind of like using a calculator without ever learning your multiplication tables. If you'll be doing more DB work in the future, it might be best to go with the SQL.

Nov 30, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 10
Many thanks and gratitude is extended to mr_superlove and gpalmer, who helped me create the DB. Now to get SQL to interface with our custom java application...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Now to get SQL to interface with our custom java application...
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you say JDBC? Sure I knew you could!
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 10
If this is a one-time load, or even a few times, just do it through MS Access, with a link to the Oracle Table via ODBC. Create an "Append Table" query and just add all Access table records to the linkd Oracle Table.

I used to do this each month for a credit card feed we wanted loaded into our Finance system.

If not a single or limited time load, then yes, integrating it into your java process with JDBC is probably best.

Good luck, hope it works/worked out OK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back