It All Started in Cupertino
May 17, 2007 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
I don't know about the rest of you haggard cap peelers, but I'm elated my retirement's dependent on the stock market.

Have a look at this:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/announcem...ake-261101.php
  • An anonymous Apple employee forges an internal memo stating erroneously that the release of the iPhone and Leopard (the forthcoming Mac OS) will be delayed for several months.
  • From within the Apple network, said employee emails this fake internal menu to the online tech blog, Engadget.
  • Engadget publishes an article based on the memo without verifying the source.
  • Moments after the piece is published, Apple's stock begins to fall.
  • Before Engadget can redact the error, Apple's stock has dipped by four billion dollars for a total loss of 3 percent.
  • After the memo is widely understood to be a fake, Apple's stock returns to its original value.
  • An independent blogger reports that the Apple employee responsible for the hoax is lying in a ditch somewhere with a garrote around his neck.
  • Greenpoint denizens begin showing up at Brooklyn Social wearing colorful vintage garrotes.
  • Kenneth Cole debuts his line of Signature black garrotes at Bloomingdale's.
  • Cole's stock rises by two percent -- but only for half an hour.

May 17, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 5
A terrific vignette, Scrypt. I'm glad you see the blither side of this catastrophe. He who lives by the hype dies by the hype.

Apple's award-winning strategy of abandoning superior RISC technology to become a design firm making A/V devices that look like executive toys and an operating system that's 'better' because it's simpler - so long as you do what it tells you to -- makes Apple a locus of irrational exuberance to my mind. Indeed, it's not just Bubble-licious: it's the Ultimate Bubble.

Then again, any idiot can make a mint playing a market that just keeps besting itself. And everybody knows this isn't like 1987 -- the only way is up!

Nights I'm out driving my taxi, all I can think is, Some day a hard rain's gonna fall and wash all the bulls off the streets.

May 18, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 5
I may not know a whole lot about the stock market, but isn't there an inherent risk of loss of money like this?

Edit: After actually reading the entire post, my post becomes somewhat irrelevant.

May 18, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 5
Awesome post. Will you manage my portfolio?

[size=xx-small]
*my portfolio consists of three wheatback pennies and an empty sardine can[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back