It’s official: the Grado RA-1 can’t power the HD580s after all!
Aug 6, 2002 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

arnett

Consigliere
Just got my Grado RA-1 back from Grado yesterday (it took them a month!). I sent it off of repair when I heard significant distortion through it using my HD580s.
Grado’s invoice said they could find nothing wrong with the unit. They shipped the same one back to me.

Hooking it up to my HD580s, I had the same problem as before: distortion and muddiness at moderate to higher volume. And generally, the sound just didn’t seem right. Also, the left channel seemed significantly louder then the right.
confused.gif

Then I plugged in my Senn MX-500 (32 ohm). Hmmm. They sounded pretty good: no distortion even at higher levels. Also, there seemed to be no channel imbalance. The sound through the RA-1 was much more ‘together’ with the MX-500 than with the HD580s. I’m sure a lot of you are saying, ‘duh!.’
tongue.gif

Then I plugged in my brother’s Grado SR-125s which he’s letting me borrow. I generally don’t like the Grado headphone sound but through the RA-1 amp the SR-125s never sounded better. With the SR-125s, there was no distortion – even at higher levels. Also, there was absolutely no channel imbalance. And the sound was really together -- very smooth and warm!
cool.gif

well, apparently there was nothing wrong with the unit after all. I was just using the wrong impedance headphones with the RA-1.
I’m still not much of a Grado headphone fan so I’ll probably end up selling the RA-1.
frown.gif

The moral of the story: there are a lot of people saying that the RA-1 can drive the HD580/600 pretty well. I dispute that. I don’t recommend the RA-1 with a higher impedance headphone like the HD580.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
you listen to music too loud.

actually, the RA-1 with the HD580 starts crapping out on me at about 10 o'clock. i usualy don't listen that loud but for classical and jazz you sometimes have to turn it up.

with the SR-125, i can crank it way up past 12 o'clock without any problem in sound. that's WAAAYYY too loud on the SR-125. even at that level, i don't get the distortion like i do with the HD580s. so i don't think the amp is bad, per se.

i could just listen to music at a soft level with my HD580s, but i don't really like the sound of the amp that much as to mess with not being able to turn it up when needed.

Aug 6, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
The moral of the story: there are a lot of people saying that the RA-1 can drive the HD580/600 pretty well. I dispute that. I don’t recommend the RA-1 with a higher impedance headphone like the HD580.
smily_headphones1.gif

You are obviously deaf. If not, you're well on your way at those volume levels.

Aug 6, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 13

Aug 6, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 13
I have to dispute your disputation, at least for me. My RA-1 does fine with either of my Senn's (580 and 600). True, there is special synergy with Grado phones, but to my ears with the Senn's the RA-1 does quite well for itself.

Aug 6, 2002 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 13
Have you tried a different source? Could be that your current source's output voltage is too high for the RA-1 and is overloading it...

Aug 6, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
You are obviously deaf. If not, you're well on your way at those volume levels.

thank you for those kind words, Beagle.
tongue.gif
hehehe . . .

those levels are based on classical discs. i don't listen to rock at those levels. but 10 o'clock is necessary on the senns for some recordings (like chesky CDs).

Quote:

Could be that your current source's output voltage is too high for the RA-1 and is overloading it...

my DAC has an output of 2.5 volts.

Aug 7, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Maybe something is wrong with your HD580?

That was my first thought, too. Perhaps you have the famous cable connection problem? With fresh batteries I too got lots of volume and good sound with the RA-1 and HD 580/600

Aug 7, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
That was my first thought, too. Perhaps you have the famous cable connection problem?

nope. on my headphone jack out of my CDP, i get plenty of volume without issue. hell, i don't get this distortion problem out of my PCDP.

and it's not the batteries.

maybe they changed the design of the RA-1? less power for more battery life perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back