Issues with USB 3.0?
Mar 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ohhgourami

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I tried using my USB 3.0 ports for my music and noticed it will completely cut off after a few minutes of working.  However, I have no problems using USB 2.0.  Anyone knows why?  My setup is in my sig.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 19
I already pointed out on other threads that USB 3.0 isn't friendly with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 DACs. Current USB 3.0 host controller implementation is buggy when it comes to audio devices.

Use a USB 2.0 port instead.

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 19
No problem :) And I do wish these issues would be fixed, but it seems they're more at hardware than driver level, so an audio friendly USB 3.0 port will most likely only be available on new host controllers. Perhaps Intel's 7 series chipsets with integrated USB 3.0 controllers might work properly. Unfortunately I already got a new machine with a 3rd party host controller made by Texas Instruments, and while it's not as bad as the first controllers that surfaced or some current alternatives like the ones made by Etron and NEC, it still isn't as reliable as good old USB 2.0.

Anyway, computers as they are right now, tend to have an equal number of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports at best, with the more common situation being a couple of USB 3.0 ports and the rest USB 2.0. But in the event you happen to lack free USB 2.0 ports to connect audio devices, just swap peripherals like mice, keyboards, webcams, digital cameras, card readers, etc, from being plugged on USB 2.0 ports and use them on USB 3.0 ports.

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 19
No issues with my NEC USB 3.0 adapter and PCM2707 receivers.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
No issues with my NEC USB 3.0 adapter and PCM2707 receivers.

Unfotunately that's so far from the rule that's actually worrying when we think about bus popularity quarrels at this time and age.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 19
Hello, I have a similar problem with my Lenovo Y570's USB 3.0 ports.

My trackball will work for a few minutes, hours if I'm lucky, and stop working suddenly.
It will not appear in my Device Manager.

oohgourami, can you check your Device Manager?

Some solutions I've come across while searching the Internet:
1)Reinstall drivers.(Uninstall, reboot, install, reboot) -Sometimes fixes, but will still stop responding after a few minutes/hours.
2)Change Power Settings for USB.
3)Reinstalling my Power Management software.

Possible problem:
My motherboard is faulty.

I'm gonna send it in for repairs sometime next week. I suggest you check your Device Manager. Do not let the problem persist.

PS- My USB 2.0 port works as well. We've similar problems, so don't put this off, it may be a motherboard problem. :frowning2:

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
I already pointed out on other threads that USB 3.0 isn't friendly with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 DACs. Current USB 3.0 host controller implementation is buggy when it comes to audio devices.

Quote:
No problem :) And I do wish these issues would be fixed, but it seems they're more at hardware than driver level, so an audio friendly USB 3.0 port will most likely only be available on new host controllers. Perhaps Intel's 7 series chipsets with integrated USB 3.0 controllers might work properly. Unfortunately I already got a new machine with a 3rd party host controller made by Texas Instruments, and while it's not as bad as the first controllers that surfaced or some current alternatives like the ones made by Etron and NEC, it still isn't as reliable as good old USB 2.0.

Anyway, computers as they are right now, tend to have an equal number of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports at best, with the more common situation being a couple of USB 3.0 ports and the rest USB 2.0. But in the event you happen to lack free USB 2.0 ports to connect audio devices, just swap peripherals like mice, keyboards, webcams, digital cameras, card readers, etc, from being plugged on USB 2.0 ports and use them on USB 3.0 ports.

Has the 'USB 3.0 bug' already been  remedied?
Do new laptops/desktops have flawlessly implemented USB 3.0 ports?

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 19
I'd hate to raise a zombie thread, but since this is my thread and it's better than making a new one, I'll ask here.

For Intel's upcoming Haswell CPU's, what would happen if motherboards only had USB 3.0 ports? Since audio only works well for USB 2.0 what would happen? I hope you are reading this
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Yeah, I'm using an USB 2.0 port with my ODAC.
I wonder whether it'd be safer to use, for instance,  the JDS Labs  C5 headphone amp with an USB 2.0 port as well?

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 19
I bought a new late 2013 iMac and I've found that I get glitches and pops in audio on my ODAC and artefacts when I am recording with my Zoom H1 audio recorder as a USB mic. 

It didn't occur to me that this might be a USB 3.0 issue until looking around... if this is so that is incredibly frustrating.

EDIT: Here is something really interesting I found in this thread: http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/33427.page

Apparently Intel USB 3.0 chipsets do not have compatibility with the USB isochronous streaming protocol.

The reason is that some USB 3 controllers that claim to be fully compatible to USB 
2 devices actually have problems when you try to connect certain USB 2 high-speed 
audio interface. 

The problem is that our drivers use a technology called 'isochronous streaming'. 

The standard USB specifications cover this feature, and every USB2 controller 
supports it. 
But all USB3 controllers we tested do have problems with 'isochronous streaming' 
with high speed audio interfaces. 

My iMac has a Intel USB chipset, which I can identify from the device vendor ID in system report. The ODAC apparently uses isochronous transfer mode. This may be the cause of any glitches.

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 19
  I bought a new late 2013 iMac and I've found that I get glitches and pops in audio on my ODAC and artefacts when I am recording with my Zoom H1 audio recorder as a USB mic. 

It didn't occur to me that this might be a USB 3.0 issue until looking around... if this is so that is incredibly frustrating.

EDIT: Here is something really interesting I found in this thread: http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/33427.page

Apparently Intel USB 3.0 chipsets do not have compatibility with the USB isochronous streaming protocol.

My iMac has a Intel USB chipset, which I can identify from the device vendor ID in system report. The ODAC apparently uses isochronous transfer mode. This may be the cause of any glitches.

That's definitely the ODAC. I've never had an issue with my iMac with USB 3.0 and either the W4S DAC-2 and BDA-2. Though the new Mavericks OS seems to have some serious issues with the W4S DAC-2.

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 19
  That's definitely the ODAC. I've never had an issue with my iMac with USB 3.0 and either the W4S DAC-2 and BDA-2. Though the new Mavericks OS seems to have some serious issues with the W4S DAC-2.

It's weird though. I get popping on my ODAC with my new iMac (Mavericks, iTunes 11.3, USB 3.0) that I don't get with my old Macbook Pro (Mavericks, iTunes 11.3, USB 2.0). It drives me crazy.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #15 of 19
I've got an ODAC and O2 en route to me right now and I was planning to pair it with my Mac mini. I didn't even consider that USB3 might be a problem. My Mac only has USB3 outputs. Is there any way around this or have I just wasted my money?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back