Issue with my Schiit Modi
May 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MattB02

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I picked up a new Schiit Modi recently and have been having a serious problem that maybe someone hear can shed some light on.  The issue is only with my desktop PC and not my laptop.  What is happening is Windows will keep discovering and undiscovering (I know that isn't a word but I don't know how else to say it) my Schiit Modi every 2-5 seconds.  During the time when it is discovered you can hear sound but then it quickly turns off.  As I already stated this is only an issue on my desktop PC and not my laptop so there must be some hardware issue with my desktop that is causing it.

Things I have tried with no succes:
  • Disabling my onboard sound from BIOS and from Computer Management
  • Tried different USB ports and different USB cables.
  • Install a clean copy of Windows 7 64 bit

I would really appreciate any kind of suggestion you guys might have because I really do not want to return this device.  

Other useful information:
CPU: i7-3820 @ 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6
Graphics Card: EVGA 670
AMP: Schiit Magni

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Matt

May 31, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 16
This is obviously not a problem with the Modi because it works fine on your laptop. Therefore it must be a problem with one of the components in your computer. Keep in mind that the Modi is powered off of USB. What is the age and model of your power supply. That's where I would start. Do you have any other USB powered devices that you can connect to see if the same problem happens?

Try this and see if it solves the problem:

1. With the Modi disconnected open the Windows Control Panel and open the Device manager.
2. Scroll all the wall down to the bottom and find "Universal Serial Bus Controllers."
3. Click the drop down arrow and for every entry on that list that says "USB Root Hub" double click it and click on the power management tab.
4. In the power management tab uncheck "Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power."

If that doesn't fix the problem then we'll delve deeper into the problem. 

May 31, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 16
Mircales:
I have been in contact with Jason and he tells me it is nothing other than a hardware system/hardware problem.  He has been very nice throughout this process.  I am on the verge of returning it and just going with a sound card....

Tman5293:
The power supply I have is from last summer when I put together this rig.  It is a Corsair HX750.  All of my other USB powered devices have had no problems in the past. (mouse/keyboard/game controller/microphone/external HD).  

After trying what you mentioned I did see a noticeable difference, but the DAC would only work on my USB 3.0.  And now the problem is that I hear a clip/cut every 5-10 seconds which I assume is a latency issue.  I do not know how to fix that problem either...

Thanks for your guys help so far!

Matt

May 31, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
Mircales:
I have been in contact with Jason and he tells me it is nothing other than a hardware system/hardware problem.  He has been very nice throughout this process.  I am on the verge of returning it and just going with a sound card....

Tman5293:
The power supply I have is from last summer when I put together this rig.  It is a Corsair HX750.  All of my other USB powered devices have had no problems in the past. (mouse/keyboard/game controller/microphone/external HD).  

After trying what you mentioned I did see a noticeable difference, but the DAC would only work on my USB 3.0.  And now the problem is that I hear a clip/cut every 5-10 seconds which I assume is a latency issue.  I do not know how to fix that problem either...

Thanks for your guys help so far!

Matt

Is the problem still the same on your USB 2.0 ports?

May 31, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Yes, still keeps coming on and off. 
confused_face.gif

May 31, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Yes, still keeps coming on and off. 
confused_face.gif

Try removing another device that is using USB power and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then there is a larger problem going on.

May 31, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

EDIT: Try removing another device that is using USB power and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then there is a larger problem going on.

Okay so what I did, I unplugged every USB device, and there was still the in and out problem in USB 2.0 (No Audio).  With everything unplugged and there was the latency issue in 3.0 (Clicking every 5-10 seconds).  So it is not a bigger problem... or atleast I hope from checking that out.

May 31, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 16
If you are using the same music playback software on the laptop and the PC, then compare the settings. I would look at the memory buffer and the audio driver (including the revision number).

May 31, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Okay so what I did, I unplugged every USB device, and there was still the in and out problem in USB 2.0 (No Audio).  With everything unplugged and there was the latency issue in 3.0 (Clicking every 5-10 seconds).  So it is not a bigger problem... or atleast I hope from checking that out.

So Windows is making the USB connect and disconnect sounds? If this the case, shutdown the computer and disconnect all USB devices except the Modi. With only the Modi connected, boot up the computer and see if the problem persists.

May 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

So Windows is making the USB connect and disconnect sounds? If this the case, shutdown the computer and disconnect all USB devices except the Modi. With only the Modi connected, boot up the computer and see if the problem persists.

It is not the windows connect/disconnect sound.  It is like the device connect and disconnects very quickly and makes a click sound (I imagine it is just the noise of it turning on/off).  

May 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
If you are using the same music playback software on the laptop and the PC, then compare the settings. I would look at the memory buffer and the audio driver (including the revision number).

I will check this out when I get home from work.  How do I go about checking the memory buffer?

May 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
It is not the windows connect/disconnect sound.  It is like the device connect and disconnects very quickly and makes a click sound (I imagine it is just the noise of it turning on/off).  

Does the power LED stay on when it does this or not? Sounds like it might be a problem with your Windows sound settings.

May 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Light stays on.

Right click on the sound icon in the task bar and open playback devices. Find the Modi on the list of devices and double click on it. When the properties window comes up click on the Supported Formats tab. In the box titled Sample Rates uncheck everything except 96.0 kHz. Then click on the advanced tab and click the default format drop down and set it to "2 channel, 24 bit, 96000 Hz (Studio Quality). See if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back