Issue with local store return policy on an over the ear headphone (day later, they won't accept) return, how do I sell?
Sep 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Myrthin

New Head-Fier
Hi all.  I am relatively new to this forum, so I apologize if this is not appropriate.  I purchased a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P5s yesterday for portable use.  However, after I got them home and compared them to my non-portable Beyerdynamic dt880s, I really did not enjoy the sound so much (too rolled off on the treble for my tastes).  Overall, they are a very comfortable headphone, just not what I am looking for.  In any case, rather than buy them from Apple or Best Buy, I made the poor decision of attempting to support local audio.  I purchased them from a store in Gainesville, FL called Electronics World.  My mistake.  They won't accept a return.  Figuring a normal retail policy, I did not notice their sign stating effectively that their return policy was manager's whim (all refunds/exchanges are discretion of the manager). Ah, the joys of small towns; these guys do not have any competition in the area, so really do not stand to lose anything but my business, which is likely a small drop in the bucket to them.   Alas, I have never actually attempted to sell anything on-line before.  So, what should I do?     

Thanks Head-Fi!

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 8
So what are they supposed to do with them if they let you return them?  I wouldn't want them to sell them to me after they have been on your head. Nothing personal. I don't know you, but you know what I mean. Are they just suppose to eat the cost of your return?  That would effect the stores profitability if they can't pass that cost on to the other customers.  Some businesses have liberal return policies and they have made customers accustomed to returning things. Sometimes on almost a whim.  I suggest you keep them, sell them on Ebay or Craigslist, or gift them to a friend or family member.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 8
You can sell them on Head-Fi. There may be a little trouble with your having no feedback, but it's generally a good group to deal with.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 8
They are over the ear headphones, not underwear. Plus they had a 15 percent restocking fee, which I was willing to pay, but that option, which was not explained prior to purchase was apparently only valid for unopened headphones. Of course, a 15 percent restocking fee for an unopened box is outrageous given all they did was pull the headphones off the wall and hand them to me. I'm sure they could sell the headphones complete with still in the bag accessories (not opened) for a 15 percent discount (about 45 bucks). I could understand the no take back attitude if I bought them from an individual (e.g. A head member upgrading their headphones using the money from my purchase) but not a business. Besides, it's shooting off their nose to spite their face. They are selling a product that is sold by best buy, amazon, and apple. All have normal retail return policies. I have never encountered a return policy like this. They are a store, a local business. The only reason that you shop with guys like that is customer service. But, their policy is worse than pretty much any big box store's. That seems pretty stupid to me. It was my first transaction with them. They do not know me. There is no history of me buying stuff and returning it. So, why the draconian, fly by night style return policy? While it was posted that the manager can make a decision on returns, they should have told me in advance that all sales are final. I would have never purchased from them. And, as it is, I will never purchase anything from them.

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 8
While I understand their stance...I think it's wrong to advertise a 15% restocking fee and then just say no to a return. 

The other issue with this being that 'at discretion' return policies are awful, terrible things. Anything that's 'at discretion' is just open to abuse. Clearly outlined return policies are important for businesses. 

They could easily charge you the 15% restocking fee and mark down the return at 10% and make even more money than the first sale. 

'Why are these returned?'
'Oh he just didn't like them. Only had them one day...'
'Sold.'

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 8
I agree.  I understand their stance as well.  But, they should have told me verbally before the sale was finalized and they should have a consistent policy between their receipt and their posted policy on their wall for returns.  Further, the "manager's whim" thing shouldn't be legal, in my opinion.  They'd obviously had this conversation before because I told them I was going to contest it with my credit card company and they knew exactly how it would play out.  When the defense for not accepting a return is a salesguy telling me how much he makes per year, your business obviously has problems.  This is Electronics World in Gainesville FL, by the way.  I have since learned that there is another high end audio store in the area that has a wider selection of brands.  I'll probably check them out soon.  In any case, the store's claim to fame is that they've been in business for over 20 years.  And, I can see how that worked.  They do custom installations for non-discerning customers (e.g., churches).  These guys are essentially in construction and have no business operating a retail store.  I have no idea how they got a B&W contract (had it before the shift to China manufacturing).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back