Issue with La Figaro amp?
Apr 2, 2012 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shadowboxer

Head-Fier
Hello All,

I received a La Figaro 339.  It looks beautiful!

Couple of questions:

1) It arrived with 5 screws completely free and moving about the inside of the amp.  I discovered it was the screws that help the two of the three big black squares in their place.  I screwed them back in place.

2) I turned the amp on for the first time, and he it has a slight order coming from it.  Almost like burning insulation, but not quite.  Is this normal?

Thanks!

ETA: Smell almost smells like maybe some of the styrofoam dust inside the amp may be burning off.  Also, front of amp (volume knobs) are running very warm.

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 6
My amp runs very hot too, it's a tube amp so it's normal, nothing to be scared of my other tube amps run smokey hot too.

My amp had weird marks on it, small but noticeable, a black mark on the top alu plate, one knob was slightly marred too.

The aluminium faces act like heatsink, they are way hotter that the steel case. Being hot to the touch means also they dissipate well I hope.

How is the sound, any problems?

I got too a weird smell, but it seems to go away the second day of burning. I received it yesterday and I let the tubes burn for 15 hours continuously to see if the amp or the tubes had a problem. And today it's sound way better to me. The stock tubes looked very cheap and dirty, maybe it's them don't know. I was unable to clean the tube pristine, and their boxes were dusty.

Let it burn and see if you have any problems, run music through it with a cheap headphone connected.

About the screws that is a bad sign, from who did you purchase it? If you openned it you should have also dust it off at the same time.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 6
When my 339 arrived the box was pretty beat up. The foam inside was all over and in the amp
After cleaning it and firing it up it did smell funny but those are just some parts heating up for the first time maybe? anyway it shouldn't be a problem, I'm pretty sure the smell will go away, if not contact the seller.

did you buy it from yuking09.com, the official dealer?

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 6
I open the box too in order to fit alu spikes (not for sound but for heat concern) to increase height. There were lots of foam dust inside, had to blow that with big air pulsing machine, I didn't want to touch anything as it very dangerous!
Now there is no smell anymore, let it burn. Let it burn...
Really any pair of cans I put through this amp sounds just awesome! Appart from the sony mdrF1 which is super low impedance (10ohm?) and sound ultra bassy with some weird noise going from time to time.
Even my cheap Alessandro sound glorious, I don't understand how all my headphones sound so nice and musical full of bass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back