Issue of what I assume to be computer related beeping and sound through headphone amp
Dec 29, 2016 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hawk767

New Head-Fier
The exact sounds I'm getting are low and fuzzy beeping, usually in a rhythm. I'm sure they mean something, my motherboard is dead something like that, but the issue is they only can be heard presumably when the sound is amplified. I'd hear the sound when I had my PC audio run through an AV receiver and speakers, and now with my audio running into a Little Dot MkII I'm getting the same thing. At first the issue I thought was only from the rear speaker connection because when I have headphones plugged into the front headphone port I don't hear the sounds at all, but I tried connecting the Little Dot to the front port as well and was hearing it there too.

My dilemma is, is this most likely a common issue regarding internal PC sounds coming through when  amplified, or is it potentially something else. The only other electronics near and around the cable that's running from the amp  and from the receiver in the past are all PC related, the monitor, and router, though the speaker cables run under the desk away from those. I've considered the cable as well which is probably the one commonality besides the PC that I haven't tried replacing, I feel like the beeping sound only ever comes in on the left channel, this is a coax cable that is a single output split into right and left channel inputs.

If it's as simple as the cable I suppose I'll figure that out soon enough on my own but if not I assume the route I'd want to take would be purchasing a DAC? I've been told by a friend in the past to invest in one anyways but have read other sources saying they aren't necessarily needed, I'm not looking for premium and pristine sound, maybe I'm in the wrong place :wink: but I'd like to do away with any interference and be able to just enjoy my audio clean and clear.  

If a DAC is the way to go, the particular one I've eyed is the FiiO D3, entirely because of the price point. If that little box would do away with the extra sounds and potentially clear up the audio past that as well I'm game, if folks think I'd want to invest a little more to get a better bang for my buck let me know, I'm not entirely cheap but I'm already nearly $400 deep on the amp and 6xxs and would like to put money towards towers for my tv setup soon =). 

Appreciate any help and suggestions!

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 3
I will say that with the Schiit Fulla, I heard PC noise when music was not playing, and also a scratching sound when adjusting the volume...but with the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2, I heard no computer noise at all. Same goes for the Creative Sound Blaster E1. So it depends on which DAC you choose, among other factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back