isolation
May 24, 2007 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bindibadgi

100+ Head-Fier
First post here, so go easy.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had JVC fx-55s for a year or so now, and they have just started to die on me (cable coming to bits). So now I'm in the market.

My use is mainly for on the bus (pretty noisy environment) so I want some decent isolation here.

I don't care about the size, so I was thinking about the a500 but I don't know what the isolation is like. I assume it is better than my JVC buds (which are not that good at isolation IMHO - and they keep needing adjustment for a good seal), but am I right about that?

I listen mainly to Yes, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, that sort of thing, but with a healthy mix of Beatles, Soundgarden, Radiohead, Zeppelin, and occasionally I'm in the mood for classical or jazz. That's probably a pretty wide range, but I don't know. I currently use an iRiver H340 with no amp (I may fix that in the future but funds are tight - I have a one year old and another child on the way).

I was considering getting some JVC Marshmallows (fx-33) and doing the Kramer mod and adding E2 foamies but I think I can stretch the budget to the a500, so I think I'd be more pleased with that result. I could also afford the er6i canalphones but something is telling me I'd probably prefer the headphones.

I also don't care that much about how they look. If anyone feels like stealing them, I know kung fu.
biggrin.gif
But will I hear them coming I wonder ...
evil_smiley.gif

So my questions:

Is the a500 much better than modded Marshmallows?
What about the er6i?
Does the a500 isolate as well as the above?
Would I be better served saving more and getting something else? If so, what?
Does anybody know the isolation level of any of the above (a500, marshmallow, er6i)? I know the HD 280 is supposed to be 32 dB or something and that the a500 is not that good but that's all I know.

Any help would be appreciated.

May 24, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 22
isolation of a500 is slim to none, hd280 offers pretty high isolation, but can't compete with the er6i

i recommend the er6i. they're very good for their price and they're just so small. if you want a can, then get the hd280

a500 just don't cut it in the isolation department for your needs

May 24, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 22
Can you spring for the er4? I've owned/listened extensively to e2c, e3c, er6, SuperFi 5 pro, and I feel that the er4 is the clear winner of the lot. If not, IMHO the e3c has the best price/performance ratio.

May 24, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If not, IMHO the e3c has the best price/performance ratio.

disagree. they sound muddy, cluttered and cloudy compared to my er6i

May 24, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 22
the best iem is without doubt UE triple.fi 10 pro. heard both shure 4c and e500, and eaty!! triple.fi 10 is the only one with a natural balance over the whole spectrum (highs as good as eaty), and tho many have problems with the fit and isolation, I'v resantly discovered the solution. The new shure black foamis (medium). with them on you get FLAWLESS bassresponse (much better then e500's) and great isolation!!!

May 24, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 22
Unfortunately UE triple.fi 10 pro is way out of my price range.

I'd have to say that for the time being I couldn't stretch to the er4 either unfortunately. So that brings me around to the er-6i for an IEM.

For some reason, however, I am drawn to headphones rather than IEMs (even though I started this current quest by looking at IEMs, albeit cheap ones). So unless there really is a big noticable difference in favour of the sound of the er-6i, I would probably prefer to go for the senn 280 or the a500.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the "head clamp" reputation of the 280, and the not-very-isolating nature of the a500. If it came down to an ultimate preference though, I would sacrifice some isolation for comfort, so if the 280s clamp my head I may prefer the a500.

I should also note that I spend quite a bit of time listening at home, mainly plugged into the computer. In that situation I probably don't want complete and utter isolation from the world, unless I eventually want a divorce.
tongue.gif

Well my choice seems to be:

er-6i - isolation but not preference due to being an IEM

HD 280 - isolation but head clampy

a500 - comfort but not so isolating

Oh, and I'm not sure on the others, but the cord on the a500 is hella long! I would be inclined to mod that and create a ~1m cord for walking around and a ~2m extension cord in case I want it when sitting at home. Is that a big no-no? I can solder and I'm prepared to get good quality plugs, but is there some way this could stuff the sound quality, or is it (as I suspect) not going to make a difference with cans of this level?

Man I ask a lot of questions, but I appreciate people's responses.

May 24, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 22
Since you have a little one on the way (congrats!), budget is key, I guess. The ER6i is a reasonable performer if you're no basshead. They're small, light and fairly durable (though the HD280 obvious wins hands down for taking beatings).
Haven't tried the FX33, but if they work for you, good things probably don't come any cheaper.

May 24, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 22
I had the HD280s before and I never had a problem with the clamp. It depends if you have a big head or not. I have a small head, and I actually really like the clamp. The A500s, do not provide that great of an isolation...some, but not to block out a lot of noise. If isolation is something you want, I recommend the HD280s...they isolate better than some IEMs.

May 24, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 22
imo, when taking the bus/subway/train/plane/etc you really will appreciate the isolation of an iem. if i were you i'd get a set of decent isolating iems (think shure, ety, etc) as opposed to those semi-canalphones (sony, senn, etc). then save some money for a full-sized headphone for home/non-commuting use. even if you get say the a500 or hd280, those are likely to be more difficult to drive from a portable source when you are on the go.

May 24, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #10 of 22
Uh, the HD280s are easily driven by a MP3 player, so are the A500s. And the user said before that he preferred headphones more than IEMs. HD280s provide a lot of isolation on the bus/subway/train/plane/etc., the clamp is there for a reason. Another option you might want to look into would be the K81djs, I heard they have a lot of clamp but I have never tried them before. I'm sure someone can chime in about them, if not there are a lot of threads that talk about them.

May 24, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 22
I believe the K81djs are superaurals, so they rest on your ears, so they are definitely out. What's your budget?

May 24, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meloncoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, the HD280s are easily driven by a MP3 player, so are the A500s.

this is a subjective point, and this thread is not the place for that discussion. perhaps it's because i have been spoiled by my vintage pcdp, for i find few headphones to sound acceptable straight out of the headphone out of say, an ipod. only iems, earbuds, and the ksc75 sound satisfying to me unamped from an ipod.

circumaurals are my favorite as well (all my full-sized cans are circum). and i too find iems uncomfortable (hate the idea of jamming things into my ear). but if it's just for commute (and i don't know how often/how long your commutes are), it might make sense to have a pair of dedicated commuter iems.

if you are set on getting full size circums, i find the sony mdrv6 with beyer velours to provide a good balance of isolation and comfort. never tried hd280's so can't comment on that. spend a little more and you can get a beyer dt770/80 (which i newly acquired and favor over the sony's). they isolate better and are more comfortable. i will just add that i find the sound quality lacking when plugged into my ipod (though others may not find this to be the case).

May 24, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfunk408
circumaurals are my favorite as well (all my full-sized cans are circum). and i too find iems uncomfortable (hate the idea of jamming things into my ear). but if it's just for commute (and i don't know how often/how long your commutes are), it might make sense to have a pair of dedicated commuter iems.

Well, if you're jamming them in your ears, there's no wonder why you find them uncomfortable. :p

I would go the headphone route as you're going to listen at home so you kill two birds with one stone.

May 24, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #15 of 22
My HD280 isolates better that any IEM or canal phone I've used. I originally bought them for work, but can't use them because I can't hear the phone ring while wearing them. I've not had a problem with the clamp, which I do have with my HD580 and my new Goldring DR150. I've also had no problem driving them strait from my iPod. I have had 3 problems with them.
  • The cord is very long and coiled. I never could figure out what to do with it
  • The plastic covering on the head band is fragile. It broke off on both sides on mine. This is just cosmetic but some people might not like how it looks. On the plus side, no one will ever steal it.
  • They get pretty hot. Of course this is a problem with most closed headphones.

For an IEM, look at the im716. It uses the same driver as the ER4 and is under $100 at newegg. I've never heard the Etys, but I've been told that the im716 has more bass. It has enough bass for me, but I'm not a bass head. With effort, I can get Shure tips on it. They're a lot more comfortable that the stock tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back