Isolation question between IEM's.
Feb 26, 2006 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nsjong

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'll be getting a job in the summer and I'm going to be ready to buy some hi-fi IEM's when I get the money.
orphsmile.gif

My problem is the isolation.
I'm planning to do school concerts with my band (multi-cultural night, talent show, etc) but I'm worried about the isolation.

My choices come between the Shure E3/E4 and the UE Super.fi 3 studio or 5 pro.

The UE's use tips like the semi-IEM series.
Will it isolate just as well? Or if I get the UE's, should I also get some bi-flange tips?

Or for the best of my wallet, should I get the Ety ER6i?

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 9
I had E5c's with triflange tips and isolation was awesome. I think the tips make the most difference.

I really enjoyed the E5c. A great IEM. A bit bassy, and a bit muddy, but all in al they perform very well.

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 9
imo get the super.fi 5 pro (yes lol I am a bit biased, but hey, it's what I decided on after half a year). Strong bass, and any guitar that comes through it is just so godly...*sigh*

Also, these are pretty much 'fun' IEMs in terms of their style in both music and looks. Biflange works best for me, but annoys my ears sometimes, or not at all. Foamies are good, but do not provide much isolation...

UE and Shure pretty much are the only two companies that are (peacefully) fighting to become the top provider; both are VERY, very good at customer service. I got a free T-shirt from them just for asking
icon10.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 9
When you say you're worried about the isolation, what do you mean? You don't want too much isolation, or you want as much as possible? Are you using them as on-stage monitors?

The Etymotics ER-6i's can isolate probably as well as anything out there, and have a very low profile, as they are extremely small.

No matter what brand you get, the soft silicone "comfort" tips (like on lower-end canal phones) wouldn't isolate as well as flanges and even foamies, probably.

And if you get Shures, since you'll be working and it's a special purchase, go for the E4's ... I have the E3C's, and I like them, but if you go with Shures, why not go a little higher up the food chain?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 9
I think the Ety er-6i or Altec im716 (Ety rebrand) have the most extreme isolation (especially with foam tips) and are a great value. The sound quality is quite special - very balanced and smooth, with decent bass punch.

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 9
For on stage performances, i think Westone gotta be the choice. Its low profile, bigger bass and cables are suited for such applications. E5 will be good too but more expensive.
tongue.gif
They isolate very well too but dependent on your ears and fit.

Feb 26, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 9
Well, remember, you can't have too much isolation...otherwise, if there was a fire behind you when you were performing, it'd be best to hear your bandmates yelling at you to get off the stage
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back