Isolation (planes, trains, busses)
Aug 4, 2005 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

scubajunkie

New Head-Fier
I need a headphone for portable use.

Keep hearing good things about the senns 201 and the beyerdynamic dt 231.

But a lot of people state that the beyers are not really closed.

My questions are:
How bad is it? is it so much that you cant play them at "normal" volume on a plain without bothering neighbours?

Do the senn 201 isolate better? both in terms of keeping noise in and out...

thanks
Andreas

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 19
I'm currently looking for a replacement for my DT231, which frankly doesn't isolate all that much (not enough for bus use, at least) and is a good bit too bright. The HD201 isn't supposed to isolate any better though. My current favs are HD202 (if to be had cheap) and K26P. I'm not as much of a basshead as to consider the HD212Pro, even if it didn't have this ugly silver look.

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 19
For noisy buses, planes or trains, i think you have to look at IEMs. I dont think any of the headphones(even closed ones) can isolate enough to keep out all the surrounding noise.

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 19
For $60, the Shure E2 is very hard to beat in terms of isolation. Sounds good, too.

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
For $60, the Shure E2 is very hard to beat in terms of isolation. Sounds good, too.

Agreed. I use them all the time now and they work very well for buses and trains.

Aug 5, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 19
Thanks a lot for the info. I just needed to get those things cleared up.

Maybe i should look into the shure e2. Its only because i have had problems in the passt with getting that kind of earbuds to fit firmly in my ears. But those were not quality stuff.

Aug 5, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 19
IEMs are not earbuds, they don't fit the same at all...

IEMs go at least slightly into the ear canal and many, like the E2, also wrap the wire over the top of your ear. The fit is very secure; not at all like an earbud.

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 19
I'll put another vote in for the IEM class

I used my DT770 when I went to Belize in June and it was a good thing I had an amp because they did not do a good job of blocking out the sound of the plane.

I got my E4c' when I got back and they seal much better and sound very good.

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 19
agreed with the IEMs. i take the bus to work everyday, and normally wear my ex71s which do a decent job of killing ambient noise, but don't take out the engine/fan noise. i've tried wearing the hd201s on the bus, and it just doesn't do a very good job of isolating. i'm sure the e2's would be excellent for isolation given a good seal.

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 19
Another vote for the E2. I have used them on planes and trains as well a under the helmet while riding my motorcycle. Vary stable fit... I can't wear earbuds either.

Aug 5, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 19
I wear the SF5p on the bus to work every day. With the iPod volume at 50-60% I can not hear anything but the music. Puts a smile on my face just thinking about it.

Aug 5, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 19
Isolation: canal phones!
Plus they save your hearing; you don't have to overshout noisy environments. Shure E2 is good if you're on a budget.

Aug 5, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 19
The HD201 doesn't really isolate all that well. Not sure about the DT231. I'd take a look at the HD280 or some canalphones. Just keep in mind that not everybody's ears are made for canalphones. My ear canals are apparently very small, I can't get the triflanges for my ER-6i beyond the second flange (resulting in rather R10-like bass, which is to say, nearly nonexistant) and I couldn't even begin to insert the Super.fi 5 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back