Isolation feet for DAC and/or amp: real deal?
Mar 15, 2016 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dmbr

100+ Head-Fier
I've just become aware of isolation feet being used with DAC's and amps to improve SQ...and I must say I'm skeptical--I can't say I understand how a component vibrating would disrupt how well it functions. I fully get why they'd be helpful with a turn table, but a DAC?

Would a "top of the line" isolation product like the Nordost Sort Kone yield detectable improvements (on sufficiently high-end cans) when applied to an external DAC and/or headphone amp?

Would be very interested in any testimonies!

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

I've just become aware of isolation feet being used with DAC's and amps to improve SQ...and I must say I'm skeptical--I can't say I understand how a component vibrating would disrupt how well it functions. I fully get why they'd be helpful with a turn table, but a DAC?

Would a "top of the line" isolation product like the Nordost Sort Kone yield detectable improvements (on sufficiently high-end cans) when applied to an external DAC and/or headphone amp?

Would be very interested in any testimonies!

On a system with very large speakers (or a subwoofer) airborne vibrations can affect mechanical parts on CD players and TTs, maybe HDDs on music servers. If you're using a headphone there are no airborne vibrations, much less affect your gear. Maybe if you have restless leg syndrome and you're shaking the whole floor, but even then, you're dealing with a symptom instead of going to a doctor to have severe restless leg syndrome dealt with by a professional.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 5
I've never tried the Sort Kone or any other cone / pod / wood block myself. I'd be interested in your impressions if you do, though.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #5 of 5
I was reading about the DAC that is used in the Shiite Yggdrasil. Someone posted the PDF from one of the designers or the company that makes the actual DAC chip. The DAC chip that was created for the military and MRI machines. The most precise DAC in the world. It's amazing how much DAC chips can be affected by temperatures and noise and other things. I skimmed it but I saw nothing about vibration surprisingly. I doubt they left that out in their tests. I can only conclude that vibration wasn't a problem or affected it at all. 

I guess it's possible there are other parts in a completed audio DAC that could be affected by vibration. I haven't looked it up so I don't know. I find it hard to believe there would be. Unless capacitors and such are. There aren't to many other parts in the things. Wire and boards. Power supply? I can't see vibration bothering those. But if someone else has insight into that I'd be interested in hearing about it. 

I've never tested vibration cones and things so I'm not going to say if they affect the sound or not. I would guess no, so I've never used them. I definitely wouldn't put my DAC on top of a subwoofer or anything. That's not to say that it's probably not a bad idea to keep all your gear in your whole audio rack from shaking around. It's a cheap investment to have some on the feet of your entire rack. Like anything you can always do some A/B testing if you're curious. 

Remember though that even if the vibrations aren't coming from the floor you're still getting hit through the air anyway by the sound waves directly. So your gear better be made to handle vibrations anyway because they are going to happen regardless. 

Here is the PDF if you're curious: http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/44-04/AD5791.pdf

*well I did once put my amps on a thick maple board (maple absorbs vibration well) and the board was on some rubber and cork pads. So I really had good isolation. I never A/B'ed it though or really tested it. So can't say if it helped. Nothing jumped out at me though from before and after.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back