Isolation: Etymotic 4P, Sony V6 or other?
Dec 9, 2001 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
I cannot afford an amp and headphones, but I can afford the Eymotics if there isn't anything cheaper that might work.

Currently I like the sound of my HD495s, but they are way too open and they don't really provide enough bass. Therefore, I am looking for isolation and better bass response at the very least, but I like the rest of the HD495 sound quality, so I don't want to go backwards there.

I use headphones mainly with my PC for music and gaming, but also with my portable CD and MD players. I need isolation because I have two roommates and a lot of papers to write. They are really good about turning their stuff down, but I would much rather just put on headphones and listen to my own music rather than demanding quiet from them.

So: is there anything that doesn't need an amp and will provide isolation like the Etymotics and sound as good as my HD495s with better bass.

I doubt it, but maybe you guys have some suggestions. I'd buy the ER6 in a second if they made it with a longer cord.

Dec 9, 2001 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 15
There is nothing like the Etymotics. Although the ER6 does not isolate quite as well as the ER4, you may find the isolation they provide adequate and you can always get an extension cord for them.

Dec 9, 2001 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 15
I wonder whether the ER6 would sound better than the B250? Which has better bass? I know the ER6 has better isolation, but not by a lot.

Are the B250s easier or harder to drive than my HD495? I definitely do not want anything harder than the HD495.

Can you recommend a good short extension cord for the ER6? I only need a meter or two.

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 15
Etymotics can create a world for your own when listening to music. They have so much isolation, sometimes they worry me.

As for them being a step forwards / backwards, I'd say they'd be a tremendous leap forward in sound quality.

I don't know about the 6s, but will try them shortly! (I hope).

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 15
Is the amount of bass you hear lacking, or is the amount of bass you feel lacking? If it's the second, you should go for the Beyer 250-80s or V6s. If it's the first, definitely give the Etys a try.

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 15
IF you have the moneys, you HAVE to go for the Etys. I've only heard them once and I was blown away. Plus, if you're into the whole 'making your friends jealous' thing, nothing surprises them more than hearing that sound come out of headphones that look like they do.

If you're out to save money, get the V6s with the Beyer pads. thats what i use and I can wear them all day with the replacement pads.

Dec 9, 2001 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 15
I don't really care about feeling bass, but I don't think I hear enough with the HD495s. My KSC35s have better bass than the 495s.

Since I do have the cash and I will be in a dorm with at least one roommate for at least another year, I think I might go with the Etymotic.

Assuming I order them, I think I will avoid discussing how much they cost with my parents. Screw practicality, I want some bitchen headphones!

Dec 9, 2001 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Screw practicality, I want some bitchen headphones!

go for it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 15
I didn't tell my SO what I paid for my HD600s either. My money and she wouldn't say a word, but she thinks the speakers that are in the TV are "Good Enough".

Oh well. Go for the gusto. Hope you enjoy.

Dec 9, 2001 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
she thinks the speakers that are in the TV are "Good Enough".

Lol, that's exactly the way my parents are. They think VHS videos look fine and 5.1 sound is stupid. I'm proud to say the I have educated my younger brother to the contrary.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 15
LOL, last night, in my continued attempts at trying to influence my better half to "get" my obsession with good sound, I played her some of Paul Simon's Graceland (she likes him, and it's a good recording) through the 333ES -> Max -> HD600.

When she was done, I said "What did you think?" Her response was "it sounded pretty good." But her tone of voice was more like "what were we talking about again?"
wink.gif
I said "That's it? Pretty good?" to which she replied "I'm just not very good at hearing differences I guess."

But she enjoys music a lot, and uses her MiniDisc player, the car stereo, the radio in the kitchen, and the home stereo -- she listens to music a lot. It's just to her, she likes the song or she doesn't; it doesn't matter how it sounds.

In some ways, I envy her...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Lol, that's exactly the way my parents are. They think VHS videos look fine and 5.1 sound is stupid. I'm proud to say the I have educated my younger brother to the contrary.

Heheh my parents are the same. Still in VHS and cassette age. I made my dad go look at DVD players last year so that he could at least upgrade to VCDs.
biggrin.gif
I also made him get a Sony discman, but even then he doesn't understand the difference between it and the cassette...not the conviences nor the sound quality difference.
eek.gif
That's when I gave up on em.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back