Isolation, Durability of cx300, e2c, and JBL 220
May 7, 2007 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ywd

100+ Head-Fier
Taking into account only isolation and durability, which of these are the best? I do not particularly care the best SQ as long as it is listenable, as they will not get all that much use.

Actually, comfort is another major factor.

May 7, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 14
You're comparing 2 canalphones (CX300, JBL 220) against an IEM (E2C). In general IEMs isolate more which in this case the general rule holds. I've owned the E2Cs and the CX300 and currently own the 220s. The 220s are an open canalphone and offer the least isolation. The CX300s are better but both definitely do not isolate nearly as well as the E2Cs.

I haven't had any problems with any of them in regards to durability issues so I can't say one is necessarily better than the other.

May 7, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #4 of 14
I found the 2 canalphones to be a bit more comfortable than the E2Cs because Sennheiser's medium silicone tips fit me perfectly. I have the Senn's tips on my 220s. The 220s are so small that I can actually sleep with them, including sideways.

The Shure's tips are just a bit stiffer and I couldn't find a totally comfortable tip to work with them.

Keep in mind, tips for canalphones and IEMs are a very personal thing in regards to comfort and getting a good seal. In other words, Shure's E2Cs might work fine for you. Though I would recommend the new SE210 since it uses Shure's new black foamies. I use their foamies on my Atrio M5s and they are incredibly comfortable and offer terrific seal.

May 7, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 14
I tried the shures E2C and found them pretty uncomfortable. That and I felt like I had to do a tap dance everytime to get them in. I listen to my phones about 8 hrs a day and the Shures put alot of pressure on my ears after awhile. They were realy good on isolaton and seem like they would be durable.
The JBL I have no experience with. As for the CX300's, after trying a few other brands within the same price range these are what I ended up with. I find them very comfortable and barely notice there in my ears even after a few hours of listening. As for Isolation they are not the best, but they are still pretty good. When you have music playing you still have to have them turned down pretty low to hear anything through them. And durability, I stepped on my right phone, and besides scratching the sides a bit, no problems. I don't suggest this though. Sennheiser offers a two year warranty as well.
For casual use I would use the Cx300's.

May 7, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 14
I have 220s and E2cs.
Comfort: 220s for sure (ouch!)
biggrin.gif

Durability: E2cs (these things are very industrial! Good thick leads, and solidly built) Some users report cracking of the leads but mine so far (almost 2years) show no sign of this....
Isolation: E2cs

SQ (yeah, I know! But you're going to get it anyhow!): Probably 220s, tho I've only had them a very short while compared to the Shures. I still like the E2cs SQ, kinda used to them and the legendary 'Kramer mod' usefully improves their high end. The JBLs are great, tho: very good bottom end, nice & clear through the mids & highs, slightly more refined presentation.

No experience of the CX300s, sorry...

May 9, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 14
Would it be possible to listen to the 220s on a plane and hear the music w/o killing your ears? How about in cars, because my ksc75 are barely usable in a car.

May 12, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it be possible to listen to the 220s on a plane and hear the music w/o killing your ears? How about in cars, because my ksc75 are barely usable in a car.

No. They isolate more the ksc75, but not by a lot. I tried them on the DC metro and they were worthless. The Senns were OK on the Metro but probably not good enough for a plane.

I've never had the E2c but I've used the Shure E3c on a plane and they were fine. They're supposedly easier to get a good fit than the E2c because the have a smaller tip. If you can get a good fit with the E2c, they should be good enough for a plane.

May 12, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The 220s are an open canalphone. They are not meant to offer up much isolation. Their design lends to their more open sound than typical canalphones. I use my JBLs for my walks with the dog primarily so I can still hear cars approaching me from behind.

They are as non-isolating as V-Moda's Vibes which I did take with me on a plane trip once. This was a bad decision on my part. Heck, my K81DJs did a better job in isolating which I had with me thankfully and I switched to for the rest of my trip.

May 12, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 14
E2cs would be better on a plane -I used to have problems with keeping the seal, but some multi-cloured foamies I found on ebay cured that (not stock Shure ones, which I never got on with unlike a lot of users) -wish I could remember the sellers name to get more! Search time
tongue.gif

Warrior05 & scompton are spot on re 220s isolation. I do find however that using the largest tips isolates a bit more but emphatically not enough to remove a turbine drone! Cars? Never tried it - maybe. My wife has a clonky classic car - it would take a hermetically sealed dome to drown that out
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back