Isolation - custom sleeves v triple flanges
Apr 30, 2010 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DaeO

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

Just wanted to find out your views on the level of isolation of custom sleeves compared to triple flanges.

I have the large triple flanges on my HF5 (brain penitrators!), and contemplating the custom sleeves for my W2/UM3X.

Is the isolation better on the customs, or the triflanges?

Thanks

David

May 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 14
Bump

I'm sure there are people here who have experience of both custom sleeves and triflanges, no?

beerchug.gif

May 1, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 14
Сustom sleeves isolation is 20% better for me(Westone 3).
The main difference is more transparent and clear sound and much better comfort.
It is like two stones in your ears. No pressure or pain.

May 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 14
That might be a tough one, the triple-flange isolation would be pretty darn good to begin with. It depends if you're happy with it or not. Customs would isolate more, but how much more is the question. Would it be enough to make worthwhile the cost?

May 1, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 14
Actually, customs isolate much less. A well fitted custom might isolate 28dB, whereas a good fit with etymotics will give you over 40dB of isolation. IMO the comfort factor is more than worth it though.

For comparison, IIRC shure olives give about 36dB and comply a bit less.

May 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 14
Interesting, I didn't think Etys isolated that much. I have the ER-20 earplugs and I certainly don't get 40dbs of isolation, but my ears are a bit different than most and I don't get fantastic isolation with much as tips don't go as far in my ears as with others.

May 1, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, I didn't think Etys isolated that much. I have the ER-20 earplugs and I certainly don't get 40dbs of isolation, but my ears are a bit different than most and I don't get fantastic isolation with much as tips don't go as far in my ears as with others.

There lies the problem.
biggrin.gif

"The goal of the ETY•Plugs™ design was the same as for Musicians Earplugs: to reduce noise but preserve sound quality; in effect, to turn down the noise but not muffle voices, environmental sounds or music."

May 1, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 14
Yeah, I can attest that they do that very well.
My thinking was just based on the fact that it's the same Ety triple flange on the ER-20 as for their IEMs. I know there would be a difference, but I didn't think it would be 20dBs of difference seeing as its the same triple flange.

May 2, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 14
My guess is that ety iem's are the only iem's that would isolate more than a custom. I've had my fair share of iem's as well as had access to a lot of them and none comes even close to Etymotic.

May 2, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 14
Well isolation is highly tip dependent. I think the next highest isolation goes to shure olives at ~36dB (assuming good fit!!). So any earphone that can fit them should get roughly that isolation - Westones, Etymotics, the Sleek SA6 and Atrios to name a few.

For comparison, most UE IEMs get about 26dB of isolation. Then again, UE likes single flange silicon tips, so that may explain it. I know the UE700 is rated at 26dB.

I think the reason people think customs isolate more is the better bass response. Because bass is most easily drowned out, especially when commuting in subways/cars/planes/etc. the higher quality bass is confused for higher isolation. Just my 2 cents though.

May 2, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 14
Some mixed views here, which represents why I couldn't decide whether they would isolate more or not

I'm hoping that rawster, semisight and bina, as I don't want custom sleeves to have the same isolation at etys triflanges, as I can bearly walk in these due to the thud of my footsteps!

beerchug.gif

David

May 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some mixed views here, which represents why I couldn't decide whether they would isolate more or not

I'm hoping that rawster, semisight and bina, as I don't want custom sleeves to have the same isolation at etys triflanges, as I can bearly walk in these due to the thud of my footsteps!

beerchug.gif

David

I know this is an odd thing to say, but I try to walk lighter when using IEMs. Land on your mid foot instead of your heel and you can get rid of some of the bone conduction.

May 2, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 14
I have Monster SuperTips (not the new, white ones) and they isolate very, very well - I'd say on par with my MDR-NC60, maybe a bit better at keeping out speech.
I could get the Monster triple flanges to enter fully, however the sound is just wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back