Isolating portable phones (PXC-300 vs EX-81 vs MD-33)
Jun 14, 2005 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cyner

New Head-Fier
So. I've got the Sennheiser PX-200 -- and like them. But now I want something that isolates even better.

This is what I want/need:

* as little microphonics and "bodily sounds" as possible (when moving about; heartbeats, footsteps etc)
* as much isolation and little leakage as possible
* as much comfort as possible (for longer sessions and quick insertion and removal)
* as clear and tight sound as possible (boomy bass is a no-no)

And it has to be portable. The PX-200 is good in that respect, the MX-450 excellent, and the HD-497 quite worthless.

I've been looking at the Sennheiser PXC-300 (more or less identical to the PXC-250?), but don't know how well it isolates compared to the much cheaper Sony EX-81 and Sharp MD-33. The Shures and Etymotics are probably out of the question due to my demands as listed above.

What say you? Which one should I get? (Or other options up to about $150.)

Bonus question: How would EX-81/MD-33 + very cheap portable amp compare to PXC-300? The only cheap amps I've found that ships to Europe are the Audio-Technica AT-HA2 and the Boostaroo (
tongue.gif
). Are there others you could recommend (under $100)? I just can't make my own.

BTW: I'm currently using my Daisy Diva mp3 player as source, with 2x40 mW / 16 Ohm output power. Maybe that's not enough for the PXC?

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 5
If the above is somehow difficult to answer, maybe someone could tell me how well the Sony EX-81 isolates, compared to the PX-200 and PXC-250/300. And how much does it leak?

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyner
So. I've got the Sennheiser PX-200 -- and like them. But now I want something that isolates even better.

This is what I want/need:

* as little microphonics and "bodily sounds" as possible (when moving about; heartbeats, footsteps etc)

Both the EX81 and MD33 suffer from microphonics. I find the Shure over the ear/behind the back approach is necessary to minimize the same. The Ety clip might be as effective, but I have no experience.

Quote:

* as much isolation and little leakage as possible

Both the EX81 and MD33 are better at isolation and leakage than my PX200. No experience with the PX300. But neither really isolate as much as the Shures/Ety ER4p with foamies or tri-flanges or my Sensaphonics 2X-S.
Quote:

* as much comfort as possible (for longer sessions and quick insertion and removal)

I find both to be equally comfortable, and fine in this area. The Shure E4c are plenty comfortable with soft-flex sleeves. I don't like foamies as much.
Quote:

* as clear and tight sound as possible (boomy bass is a no-no)

Look elsewhere. I go to my Panasonic HJE70 for this, but even that's not nearly as good as my Shure E4c or as the Ety ER4p I've tried from time to time.

Quote:

And it has to be portable. The PX-200 is good in that respect, the MX-450 excellent, and the HD-497 quite worthless.

All are very portable.

Quote:

The Shures and Etymotics are probably out of the question due to my demands as listed above.

I'm puzzled by this. Per your criteria, I'd think the Shure E4c or ER4P are right up your alley. A bit more than your budget though.

Quote:

Bonus question: How would EX-81/MD-33 + very cheap portable amp compare to PXC-300?

Don't waste your money. Buy better phones.

Best,

-Jason

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for your response!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I'm puzzled by this. Per your criteria, I'd think the Shure E4c or ER4P are right up your alley. A bit more than your budget though.

AFAIK, using Shures and Etymotics, you will hear loud footsteps while walking, and your own heartbeats and breathing. I don't want this, that's what I meant. And yes, E4c and ER4P are too expensive.

Jun 15, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 5
I got the pxc250, I find it pretty good, comfort is fine, no microphonics, some white noise and decent isolation(I don t have much experience with the technology but cars passing by are no longer annoying). Might be a little expensive in the US though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back