Isolating IEMs or closed cans for portable metal listening
Jun 25, 2009 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rancid

New Head-Fier
Hi. I've been using Porta Pros for commuting and gym. They have fun signature which I enjoy. But I find them a bit muddy and perhaps too bassy. Main fault in porta pro is lack of isolation which I need quite a bit. My research indicates choises such as hfi-780, senn hd25-1 II or etymotic er6i. I find that full-sized and foldable is portable enough for me. I would like something that makes guitars more pronounced and I feel I could enjoy something like Grados "in your face" signature.

Mainly I listen to straight forwarded metal such as thrash and death. My budget is something between 150USD and 200USD. I'm going to use these unamped from my 5.5g Ipod and later on perhaps from cowon d2+ or sansa fuze, because it seems my ipod harddrive is going to break within couple of months. I live in Finland so there is really not much oppurtunity to audition any phones. Used or new is ok.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 3
I only really know IEMs so I don't have anything worthwhile to say about closed headphones.

I would recommend looking into Westone UM2's($180?) or Phonak PFE's ($100). I have owned both and they were very pleasing for metal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back