Isolating IEMs < $100?
Sep 30, 2008 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

googan

Head-Fier
I'm in the market for some sub-$100 IEMs that have very good isolation, as I will be using them on the subway/train. Obviously, I also want them to sound good.

I've been looking at er6i (~$76 shipped), im716 ($90 shipped). Looking for opinions / other suggestions. RE-2s look amazing for $80, but I'm worried about their isolation.

I listen to mostly harder genres of rock, some other rock, some hip hop and acoustic/indie stuff.

As reference, I own Denon D1001 (recabled), Senn 555, Bose in ear triports. Recabled Denons sound almost just right as far as balance, but would like a tiny bit more in the mids, Senn 555 are lacking in the bass and treble departments, and the Bose IEs are a bit too bass muddy and lacking in treble.

Oh and these will be used unamped or with a Fiio for now.

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 7
If you have a fiio, the bass issues with the er6i's and im716 are greatly reduced, but the RE2 greatly benefits from a fiio as well. If isolation is a high priority, get the er6i - I think only the very best seal with the high end shure's can match or beat its isolation. It also is really an IEM - IN EAR - not sticking into the ear but sitting outside the ear (the RE2)

I'm not sure how the im716 compares to the er6i but I have heard it is a significant upgrade - for only 15 bucks it should have the same isolation as the er6i or close to it, if the pod on it doesnt bother you then go for it.

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 7
At the sub 100 price range you're out of luck if you are looking for a bassy IEM with good isolation. The IM716 will do a great job for the acoustic/indie stuff and most of the rock bands, but wouldn't be suitable for hip hop. The ER6i is out of question. I'll suggest that you up your budget and get a Superfi 5 EB instead. Otherwise, you could try getting a Superfi 3 and do the filter mod.

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 7
About how bad are they in the bass department? I'm willing to sacrifice a bit on SQ/sound signature in favor of isolation, as currently my only portable solution is the Bose in-ears and I'm really starting to wonder if my ears are getting damaged using them on the subway. I have to use them at almost double the volume on the subway as I would normally listen at in order to hear the music clearly.

I may just save up for a higher class IEM, but you know how it is. I want something now
tongue.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 7
so.. no other suggestions? Isolation and good sound too much to ask for $100?

Oct 1, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 7
Keep your eyes open around some of the shop sites, newegg, amazon,ebay, etc. You should be able to pick up a set of the IM716's cheaper than $90. Do the depod mod and save yourself the hassle of using a Fiio. With the depoding done these little iems are very good, especially if you can pick them up for $50-60.

Oct 1, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep your eyes open around some of the shop sites, newegg, amazon,ebay, etc. You should be able to pick up a set of the IM716's cheaper than $90. Do the depod mod and save yourself the hassle of using a Fiio. With the depoding done these little iems are very good, especially if you can pick them up for $50-60.

Oh do they get that cheap? I guess I'll give it some time then. The depodding doesn't look too complicated at first glance.

I asked this in the "noisy factory iem" thread, but can anyone tell me how much difference using foamie tips make for an iem with mediocre isolation (using original tips)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back