Isolating IEM under $100
Feb 2, 2007 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

nm2285

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an IEM to use in situations that I need a bit of isolation (eg mowing the lawn, airplanes...). I have owned the Ety ER-4P and thought it a bit harsh in the treble, but with a little EQing, very nice. I love my AKG K701s and my K81DJs are also quite nice with the bass toned down a bit. I'm also a big fan of my Koss KSC-35s. Basically, I hate tons of bass; I prefer a balanced, neutral sound.

I'm considering the JBL Reference 220s, the V-Moda Vibes, the Super.fi 3, and the Creative ep-630. My concerns with the JBL and the V-Moda is that they won't provide enough isolation. Anyone have dB data on them? Which of the above (or what other IEM) would you recommend?

Thanks!

Edit: Throw Westone UM1 into the mix

Feb 2, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 16
My vote goes for the ER 6i. They provide 34-36 dB of attenuation. You can find it around $90. The V-modas have very little isolation as they are semi-open so I would definitely avoid them.

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 16
I love my UM1 - most comfortable, low profile IEM I've ever used. The cable is great, and non microphonic too. And they sound great! Bit light in the sub 60hz bass, but that's to be expected with all IEMs under 150
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 16
If you don't mind a muddier sound to your other headphones, then take UM1's. They are extremely comfy and have the lowest profile with absolutely little to no microphonics.

Otherwise, get er6i, not the most comfortable, but have the bright and trebly Ety sound.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 16
I used to own the ety ER-6 and liked them, but found them a bit bright. Maybe I'll have to try the 6i to see if it's the improvement people say it is. What about the altec lansing inmotion line? Also, no one has mentioned the super.fi 3...any opinions on these?

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 16
If you're looking for isolation then definitely remove the V-Moda and the JBL from your list. Great sound but not isolating. You'll be very disappointed with either of these in that regard.

Creative 630 (and Senn 300) are both known as bass-heavy, which you said you don't want.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 16
also, er-6 is definitely the most neutral sounding iem. it fits your bill perfectly in neutrality, isolation and price. give it a think. the 6i's have a bit more enhanced bass.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 16
Never heard them myself but my brother who is a careful budget audiophile swears by them: Altec Lansing IM716. Etymotic technology. Switchable high-low impedance. Fully isolating. Curently $101.54 on Amazon.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never heard them myself but my brother who is a careful budget audiophile swears by them: Altec Lansing IM716. Etymotic technology. Switchable high-low impedance. Fully isolating. Curently $101.54 on Amazon.

thats a great price...get those. i would if i didnt have er-4s's already.

Feb 2, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 16
I currently have the ER6s and they sound kind of cold even with EQ. Also if you plan to buy Etys, be keen on spending $15 for filters as well.
That's right, you'll need to babysit these after the filters get clogged.

Isolation can be a very good thing for under the covers, instrospective listening. However, outside your room, it gets pretty annoying to have to take out these buds out just to hear someone talk to you.

I suggest the JBL 220s or the VIBES. Semi-open --> Less annoyance & better soundstage.

Feb 2, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have the ER6s and they sound kind of cold even with EQ. Also if you plan to buy Etys, be keen on spending $15 for filters as well.
That's right, you'll need to babysit these after the filters get clogged.

Isolation can be a very good thing for under the covers, instrospective listening. However, outside your room, it gets pretty annoying to have to take out these buds out just to hear someone talk to you.

I suggest the JBL 220s or the VIBES. Semi-open --> Less annoyance & better soundstage.

That totally depends on what you're doing - if you're walking around and needing to talk to people, I agree, but if (like me) you are sitting on a train for a total of 3 hours every day commuting to/from work, you want MAXIMUM isolation!!
etysmile.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #14 of 16
All three of these are pretty good:

Etymotic ER 6i
Shure E2C
Westone UM1

Take your pick.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back