Isolating Headphones for Metal
Apr 5, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #16 of 45
IMO

The Super.Fi 5 Pro is a bit too "phat" for metal.

The Shure E4 is a bit too "dark" for metal.

I'd go for the ER4S, followed by iM716. They might fatigue you though (even though their highest top end isn't really exaggerated), in which case I might reach for the UM1 (I highly doubt you'll find a used UM2 for $150; in fact I'd go as far as to say you definitely won't unless it's from a close friend).

Apr 5, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO

The Super.Fi 5 Pro is a bit too "phat" for metal.

The Shure E4 is a bit too "dark" for metal.

I'd go for the ER4S, followed by iM716. They might fatigue you though (even though their highest top end isn't really exaggerated), in which case I might reach for the UM1 (I highly doubt you'll find a used UM2 for $150; in fact I'd go as far as to say you definitely won't unless it's from a close friend).

Wow, really? I thought the ER4S only sounded good with an amp? Would an ER4P be just as good (especially with the S adapter option)? You're the second person to specifically recommend the ER4 for metal. Though I'm also quite tempted to go with the UM1 since everyone seems to like them and they're priced nicely (and they fit better and are more sturdy, or so it seems from reviews).

Apr 5, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #19 of 45
Just remember that the $5 ep-630s on ebay are fake
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #20 of 45
Also the new Shures...
Quote:

The new SE210 has a similar sonic signature with the highs slightly more rolled off than the E4 making them a slightly warmer sounding can. Measurements show significantly lower distortion in the 210 over the E4, though the ratio between odd and even harmonics leans significantly more towards the odds, none-the-less the 210 does sound a bit more liquid than the E4. The 210 seems and excellent low cost IEM for most younger enthusiasts who like strong bass and who might use the cans without an amp.

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #21 of 45
SF.5 pro's are the answer IMHO. decent isolation (decent for IEM, which is still a lot) and they sound great with metal.

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #23 of 45
I have similar musical tastes as you, and I went with Alessandro MS-1's and Westone UM-1's for when I need isolation. The Alessandro's are amazing
smily_headphones1.gif
! The Westone's are on their way, I'll let you know how they are for metal when they get here.

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuletide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the UM-1?

The UM1 would not be bad, but it is not in the same league as the SF.5.

It lacks the low end and just the overall impact. For $100ish, it is a nice IEM that is for sure, but not in the same league as the SF.5, UM2 or E500

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #25 of 45
I listen to metal also (evidenced by my name):
Opeth
Grip Inc
SYL
Dimmu Borgir.
...just to name a few, so I feel somewhat knowledgable

I experimented with Shure's and ETY's for my iPod 5g, and ended up with Future Sonics EM3's. I wanted isolation, and didn't want to walk around with big things on my head. I love them, and they were $99. I don't think you can get them anymore, but I just upgraded to their Atrio m5's (currently $159, but soon to be $199).

I find the Future Sonics sound awesome for metal. Excellent bass (of course can't be compared to big over the head cans) and full sound. For my ears, I end up using the large yellow ETY foamies, as for me they provide the best fit/sound (bass). I go to Mohegan Sun, spend upwards of 6 hours just sitting, playing the slots, and listening to my iPod. I never have that fatiguing feeling.

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 45
Alright, so Alessandro MS-1's... (even in the library?) SF.5's... Ety 4p's... the d-jays sound interesting but nobody knows anything about them. [EDIT I refined the list above in the first post]

I'm also seriously considering getting the JVC Marshmallows (with E2C foams) just cause I can't seem to make up my mind to drop the big $$$, and everyone's advice is totally contradicting and all over the place!

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ms1 and ep630 are a good combo that cover most situations.

I agree. Get a SR60 or MS1 for listening when isolation isn't important and EP630s or Marshmallows for on-the-go. You can probably stay around 100 bucks and have more flexibility.

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #28 of 45
As a metalhead myself, I would recommend against Grados and the E4C. The E4C lacks the punch in the bass department, and has a weird coloration that makes many recordings unbearable to listen to (the most obvious example of this would be Cryptopsy's None So Vile album on the E4C's, and that's not even getting into albums such as Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse or Immortal's Battles in the North). I ended up giving my pair away and getting E500's which actually was VERY nice. The Grados have the same problem, except it has better bass. I like the general sound signature of Sennheisers, which captures the fullness of the bass and the thickness of the guitar groove of metal, so the PX100 is a good choice, although it doesn't have the isolation. Another good choice would be the Altec Lansing iM716, which offers isolation and an overall pretty neutral sound (which seems to be more suited for metal than colored sounds).

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuletide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, so Alessandro MS-1's... (even in the library?)

No. Grados/Alessandros leak sound like a sieve leaks water.

Your best bet would be to get a pair of MS-1s, a pair of JVC Marshmallows, a pair of KOSS KSC-75s and a GoVibe or cheap CMOY amp. That way you will have all the bases covered, and I am pretty confident you will enjoy all of those phones with your music.

MS-1s when you want the best sound quality, and when isolation isn't a concern.

Marshmallows when isolation and portability is a concern.

KSC-75s when you want good portability, don't care so much about isolation, don't want to muss up your hair, and sound quality that is only a few steps below the MS-1s.

If you buy all of that gear used, you should be able to come in pretty close to your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back