Isolating Headphones for Gaming/Music ~$100?
Mar 19, 2009 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

nate5709

Head-Fier
Hey guys! I need some advice.

I'm looking for comfortable sound-isolating headphones that are good for gaming and music-listening around (or under) $100 on my X-Fi sound card.

For gaming, I need good positional audio and strong bass for shooting/explosions.

For music, I really like warm and smooth sound with strong bass (I listen to mostly rock and metal).

Also, I had a problem with the last pair of headphones I got because they were too tight on my head (I got headaches), so comfort is a big issue too.

I've been looking at these:
Sony MDR-v6: Great isolation and bass and good for gaming but too cold-sounding for my musical tastes...

Audio Technica ATH-M50: A little pricey but these should be great for my music and gaming but they aren't supposed to be good for isolation.

Sennheiser HD-280: These sounded like the perfect headphones...until I saw all the reviews saying how tight they are. Considering what happened with my last set of headphones, I'm not willing to give up comfort for anything. If I end up buying these, I will send them back if they are too tight.

Audio Technica ATH-A700: I haven't seen as much about these but they sound pretty good except for the lack of isolation.

So! Am I right/wrong about these headphones?
Are there any others you would suggest?

I really appreciate any help, thanks guys.

Nate

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 22
Most of those are usb and I want to use my x-fi for positional audio.

What about the JVC HA-RX700s? I've been surprised to read a lot of good things about them. How well do they isolate?

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 22
I guess you could also look into the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's. Even though I'm not quite sure what price they are in the US.

I think they're superb for gaming, and they isolate pretty well (gonna test them at lan tomorrow).

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 22
I'm sure you can find a DT770-80 for around $150 new. Watch eBay. Here's one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-NEW-Beyerd...3%3A1|294%3A50

Make sure you get the 80 ohm version, which these are. I, of course, highly recommend these for all of the purposes you've listed as I've used them for several years for the same. I've definitely hunted for a possible replacement given my chronic upgraditis, but none exists at any price range. They do what they do well, and nothing tops them for it to my ears.

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 22
These look great...I don't know. They're a little out of my price range but...maybe. They look great. Crap. So tempting.

Does anyone know how well the JVC HA-RX700s isolate? They're nice and cheap and I've read good things about the quality...

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 22
Do you mind buying them in the For Sale section? Cause I think you could maybe find one for 100.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nate5709 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These look great...I don't know. They're a little out of my price range but...maybe. They look great. Crap. So tempting.

Does anyone know how well the JVC HA-RX700s isolate? They're nice and cheap and I've read good things about the quality...

I'd really say go for it. Mine have been abused to a degree that no other thing I've ever owned has been... dropped, crunched in bags, drenched with water outside in the rain, frozen, etc and they still work perfectly. Their construction is absolutely no joke: if you CAN manage to break something on these, that part is user-replaceable unless it's a driver.

Long story short: these things are built to last you 10 years or more, whether you like it or not. Any other headphone you buy would break after two years of the same treatment. Spend $50 extra now, save yourself another $100 in two years when the other thing you get breaks.

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #13 of 22
Yeah, the Beyers look like exactly what I want. Well, I'll debate getting them...so. Can anyone review the headphones I listed in the first post? Just quick reviews based on my criteria? I don't think i'm going to get out of spending $150 but I'm going to try.

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nate5709 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the Beyers look like exactly what I want. Well, I'll debate getting them...oh. Why is the 80 ohm version so much better than the 250? Do you need a stronger power source or something?

The 250 pretty much requires an amp, and is generally grainier with less midrange. The 80 has better mids, less grain, and for whatever reason is generally a better headphone. It's also much easier to drive out of just an iPod or a home stereo. It'll certainly improve with an amp, but it doesn't require one.

As for your other headphone ideas:

I had the HD280 for nearly a year before I discovered other headphones. It's cold and distant, not at all involving. Many of them also develop cracks around their joints after a while. This is one of my least favorite headphones, because it made me forget why I liked music so much.

Never heard that ATH.

The Sony's certainly good, but the DT770's in a much higher league in both durability and performance.

The A700 has massively recessed mids, and is not portable due to a larger size and those little head cushion pads that (while great when standing still) do not work when you're walking around. I had the option of getting one of these for free once... but after listening for an hour I picked something else that was cheaper.

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #15 of 22
Okay cool thanks for the response Mercuttio. I've heard about those problems with the a700s...the head pads look cool and I guess are comfortable but it's too bad they don't work if you're moving around...

Oh! New question. Does anyone know how the Beyerdynamic MMX 2s are? It would be nice to have a mic on the headphones...though I'm sure these aren't anywhere near as good as the DT770s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back