Isolating canal phones for grass cutting, <$90?
May 19, 2005 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

D2X2903

New Head-Fier
I've been meaning to post this for a while. I've been cutting grass using noise-isolating (earmuffs?) overtop a set of MX300 earbuds plugged into my Karma. Well, the earmuff headband broke (again) and my MX300s hurt my ears - theyre too big for me (not to mention they sound tinny and weak).

I was able to try a set of E2c's and some sort of special cushion (felt like a plunger when they went in... they were grey and kind of umbrella shaped going from the nozzle back to the base of the unit...) and they sounded decent for the track and a half I was able to try them with.

I checked out headphonereviews.org for earbuds and canal phones, and the highest marked phones were also the one I had seen mentioned and praised quite often here during the past week or so;

E2c seem to be the most debated for greatness or pure uncomfort or wonky sound

I believe the 888 buds referred to in many posts are the Sony E888s, which I have seen praised many times

Finally, there are the EX-71/81, which seem to be lesser compared to the E2c buds

I'm leaning towards the E2c buds because I've heard them before and because Shure is the name brand I recognize the most for canal phones. However, I see that the E888s have a reported range of 8-27,000 Hz while the E2Cs have a more "typical" 20-20,000, which makes me consider the E888s more seriously...

Do either of these isolate better than the other with the standard pads? Would you recommend one of these over the other for a loud ambient environment? (If they don't isolate enough, I can just use a pair of isolating earmuffs again) How would these compare to KSC-50s for use in a car or some other quieter environment?

Thanks for your time.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 21
Actually, the E2c's are nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be. They're a little treble-shy for sure, but overall the sound is neutral enough for anything. And they isolate very well. Not uncomfortable if you get the soft sleeves, which you will want. And I got mine for $55 shipped!

May 19, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 21
Saying the headphones will reproduce 8-27,000Hz doesn't really mean anything unless there is a qualifier. What it should say is 8-27,000 Hz +/- 3 dB. Without the +/- range the frequency responce is meaningless. who cares if it reproduces 8Hz or 25,000Hz if those frequency's are at -30dB.

Never give any consideration to those figures unless there is a qualifier that goes along with it.

May 19, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 21
I mow the lawn with my ER-6 and earmuffs over the top of that, the mower is nearly silent. Without the muffs it's still much quieter and music is very listenable..ablblele. You'll want to turn them upside town and wrap the cord over your ear to reduce microphonics though. Oh, and the ER-6i are a better choice over the ER-6.

May 19, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Actually, the E2c's are nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be. They're a little treble-shy for sure, but overall the sound is neutral enough for anything. And they isolate very well. Not uncomfortable if you get the soft sleeves, which you will want. And I got mine for $55 shipped!

$55? Was that a sale, or a regular price?

What are the recommended sites to buy headphones? I see headspace wants $99 for the E2Cs but the ear plug superstore only charges $61. The low prices on froogle seem to match the $59-61 range.

May 20, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 21
Any reputable store is good for buying headphones. Check Froogle stores on ResellerRatings.com, check the sponsors on the main page too, they're all great places to buy from. ResellerRatings.com also lets you search for products in addition to reseller reviews.

Edit: Also, lawnmowing isn't an extreme sport, you don't need anything terribly durable. All you're basically doing is walking and pushing.

May 20, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
lawnmowing isn't an extreme sport, you don't need anything terribly durable. All you're basically doing is walking and pushing.

Well, I'm thinking that you stoop and pick up things or adjust your mower, and the cord gets hung up on the handle, etc. You might have a bit of gasoline or oil on your fingers and when you touch your headphones the residue can corrode the plastic for the cord and the body of the headphones. With the smaller, more delicate canalphones, this might shorten their lives.

But, to each his own. These are the things I would consider if I were to get headphones for grass cutting.

May 20, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 21
With a decent mower, you shouldn't have to bend down to adjust anything. You should also pick up stuff on your lawn before you start mowing...if not for ease then for safety reasons. The shirt clip makes it easier to bend down as well. And the gasoline argument is moot since gasoline evaporates pretty quickly.

May 20, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #11 of 21
i use my e2c's for mowing. i use the foamies and use the earmuffs like you do.

i think the e2c's are good enough for most types of music. i don't think they do hard rock or rap justice, but i like how they make electronic music, and modest mouse-esque rock. good enough for me when mowing the yard.
cool.gif

May 20, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
Well, I'm thinking that you stoop and pick up things or adjust your mower, and the cord gets hung up on the handle, etc.

One thing I do is route the earphone cables on the inside of my shirt and into my shorts pocket to my player. I agree that you do want to be careful. Until I started wearing mine while mowing I didn't realize how often you get close to bushes and tree's. I have had one snag, while mowing around a tree, but no damage to the phone's or myself.

DobsOnly

May 20, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
Edit: Also, lawnmowing isn't an extreme sport, you don't need anything terribly durable. All you're basically doing is walking and pushing.

I don't know about you, but I usually mow my lawn while hanging upside down from a 747 tethered to a bungee cord.
600smile.gif

I will have to recommend what I usually recommend for people looking to buy quality, relatively inexpensive, noise reducing earphone, the Future Sonics EM3. It is a really solidly made canalphone with really fun lower end qualities that also happen to provide -25db of isolated goodness.

Most canalphones provide excellent isolation. At your price point I would audition the ER6i's (I've seen a thread going around that has it priced at $75) for the price, the EM3's, E3's and lastly the E2's. Sound is subjective to a point, so it's best to see what your eardrums communicate to you. Good luck!!!

May 20, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 21
I use my Sensas for this and all other high noise yard management!
etysmile.gif

I know that this is out of the price range but I just wanted to say that they sure kill the outside noise! Even when operating a big Husquvarna chainsaw!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back