Isolated Vibe-like headphones for my Kenwood HD20GA7 player!
Feb 7, 2007 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello to all. I've found myself keen on V-moda Vibes (or at least on their reviews), so that I'd like to buy a pair of them. The problem is that I use my mp3 player mainly when I walk in the center of Milano, or on train, on bus and so on... so, quite noisy environments.

I need a pair of IEMs/Canalphones with a sensitivity below 100 db to avoid hearing the Kenwood Hd20ga7 player's white noise.
Vmoda vibes are rated at 92 db and could be perfect, but being "open iems" they couldn't be good for me. What is your experience with middle volume-level music and the Vibes on a train?

And which other iems could I pick up for my player? My main concerns are:
-around 100 db (or less) sensitivity
-good quality (Vibes quality should be fine, but even better wouldn't be a problem
wink.gif
)
-good isolation 'cause of the environment whereI listen to my music
-(not a strict requirement) I would prefer them having a J shaped cable

I hope you can help

Thanks,
Tony

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 9
I am in the same boat. I want the Vibes but need better isolation.

Replies would be helpful.

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 9
The Audio Technica ATH-CK7 sounds great and isolates well thanks to the titanium housing but the sensitivity is 104db. If you don't care for boomy bass and like accurate highs these are fantastic. At about $75 shipped to the US, they are cheaper too.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Audio Technica ATH-CK7 sounds great and isolates well thanks to the titanium housing but the sensitivity is 104db. If you don't care for boomy bass and like accurate highs these are fantastic. At about $75 shipped to the US, they are cheaper too.

When I look at these canal phones:

Audio Technica Quietpoint Ath-ck7
B000N427GI.01-A3ET1CHCB2RN4K._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45263226_.jpg

Sennheiser CX300
B000E1FYQA.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Creative EP-630
26-158-024-01.jpg

Sony Ericsson HPM-70
300px-HPM-70.JPG

They just all look the same to me (referring to the earpiece). Same small, round design. And since I have the HPM-70s now, I cannot fathom how they sound so much worse than these other, more expensive models when they look the same from the outside.

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Personally, I would like something with less than 104 db, and that will be an improvement against my actual Sennheiser cx300, speaking sound quality-wise.

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 9
I suggest getting something like the ER6i by Etymotic and then, if you can really hear the white noise, look into buying an attenuator. I could hear the noise from my iPod in quiet situations, but I did not find it annoying in any way.

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 9
I have another issue: iems productors report their sensitivity in different ways,
For exemple:

V-Moda
Sensitivity: 92 dB (at 1kHz 1mW)

Shure E4c
Sensitivity (at 1kHz): 109 dB SPL/mW

ER-4S
90 dB SPL for 0.1 V
100 dB SPL @ 1mW

ER-6i
105 dB @ 0.1 V
107 dB @1mW

Super.Fi 5 pro
119dB/mW

My Sennheiser have a way to report it:

Sennheiser CX300
112 dB (1kHz/1Vrms)

Now I would like to know how does that dB @ 1KHz/1Vrms compare with 1KHz for 0.1 V, and also (expecially) with 1KHz for 1mW.

From what I can imagine, Ety ER-4s should be fine.. they are a bit to pricy but I could buy them in a near future. Now I just would like to know how to compare my Sennheiser with all the others in a common scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back